1.3 | LIES

LEENA SLAMMED HER palms against the console of her ship, her eyes squeezing shut as she leaned back against the rickety chair that squeaked under her weight

LEENA SLAMMED HER palms against the console of her ship, her eyes squeezing shut as she leaned back against the rickety chair that squeaked under her weight. She was trying to shake away the lost expression that stained the Solider's face. It was impossible to bring everyone back.

Unless — No!

It wasn't even worth wasting a second thinking about, or even believing there being a fraction of hope.

There was none.

She grabbed at her chest, feeling an uncomfortable sensation that made her heart skip a few beats before the blood began pounding in her ears. Leena groaned as she tightened her hold on her shirt, and stomped her boots against the ground to force away the images that smothered her.

Her mind began flashing with floating ash.

Children were screaming for their parents.

Parents were screaming for their children.

Panic settled over every single face that she made eye contact with, hands grabbing at thin air as their loved ones body disintegrated with a single touch. Leena, in her confused state, had even reached her hands out to catch a young girl, screaming for someone to help her as tears streamed down her face, only for her to fall through Leena's fingers like sand.

Crashes resounded from up above her, the whipping propellers of a helicopter that sliced through the air suddenly cut through the windows of a fifty storey high building. Agonising screams came to a sudden halt as everyone stared at the building. A moment later it crashed in on itself. The smoke of the rubble filling their lungs as everyone began sprinting away from the collapsing building.

Leena felt frozen. Her entire body frozen with an unknown feeling. A feeling she had never felt before and one she never wished to feel again. But it consumed her whole.

She noticed a young boy standing by the building, frozen, just like her. Leena forced her legs to move, and before she knew it, she was picking the young boy up in her arms while the thick fog surrounded them. Covering the boys head with her hands, she felt prickles of glass fall into her hair, scratching her face.

The boy sniffled and cried away in her arms once they escaped the choking smoke, Leena felt her eyes prickle and her throat clench.

"Andrew?" The boy's teary green eyes shot around him, "Andrew!"

Suddenly a plump woman, covered in dirt and red stains across her clothes, ran towards Leena. The boy wriggled in her arms, so she set him down and watched him run towards her. The woman gripped him tightly in her arms and offered Leena a small, watery smile, "thank you," she breathed out in relief.

But Leena couldn't accept her thank you. She didn't deserve the woman's appreciation. And as she turned to look over the destruction that Thanos and her had caused, a tear trailed down her bloodied cheek.