1.4 | THE ORPHANS OF THE SNAP

UP ABOVE AND beyond the waving trees, the winds wailed as tiny droplets of the heavens fell against his flushed skin

UP ABOVE AND beyond the waving trees, the winds wailed as tiny droplets of the heavens fell against his flushed skin. Peter was breathing heavily and staring up at the murky clouds, his fists clenching and unclenching by his sides.

In the heat of the moment, Peter yelled out in frustration before shaking his head furiously and pushed himself off into a sprint. He shot his hand towards the trees and before he had even blinked away the onslaught of tears, he was swinging through the air.

His cheeks flushing through different shades of cherry red. The cold breeze smacking his cheeks as the salted tears seared against his skin.

Peter didn't know how long he had been outside for but he knew that when he left the Compound it was just before sunrise, a moment after Steve had left to seek out help from the most wanted woman of the Universe. A woman whose warrant for arrest had even reached the pitiful news stations on Earth, governments across the world were rebuilding with a hatred towards Leena at the core of their union.

Peter had no idea how word about her had spread to Earth, a place that was barely coming to terms with aliens, but he had a feeling it had something to do with the purple Titan that had ripped away Peter's family.

An anger filled his stomach, one which burned his eyes with tears, and flushed his cheeks with burning vengeance. Peter had never felt like this before. He's been angry but not like this. This was different.

Pinpointing his anger was fruitless. It was pointed towards everyone. At the moment, he was frustrated that Steve had barely listened to him when he asked to tagalong to find Leena. He dismissed him like he was a child and told him that it would be safer for him to stay at the Compound.

"More like stay somewhere where they can keep an eye on me," Peter grumbled under his breath as he hauled himself up onto the highest tree branch.

His glistening brown eyes glanced around the view that would usually take his breath away in awe but today it only served as a reminder of how detached from his life he really was. The Compound was a little bit to his left, the lake in front of him, and glancing south, where in the distance, and only a couple hours away, was his home, Queens. His heart clenched at the thought of his home.

He missed his home.

He missed his twin-sized bed.

He missed everything.

Peter's stomach gnawed with hunger as a heavy distraction from a trip down memory lane that would only rile him further. He dejectedly decided to head back.

He dropped down from the tree at the start of the forrest line, landing softly on his feet, and breathed in deeply before slowly releasing it. He glanced towards the building in the distance and his eyes narrowed. He had to go back.

Wiping his cheeks, Peter made his way back to the Compound, keeping his mind cleared of all thoughts until he stepped over the threshold and was greeted by the automatic voice of F.R.I.D.A.Y, the A.I system that Peter had started up after arriving back on Earth.