three: the better first impression

"I thought I would be the only Brit here but clearly that's not the case anymore." The boy said as the others left in a hurry. I adverted my gaze, not really in the mood for anymore company.

"Not much of a talker are ya?" He said, trying to front a friendly smile. I lifted my eyes back up to his as he approached and sat down next to me. "I'm Newt. You would have known that if you would have given me a chance to tell you." He said, smirking.

The sides of my mouth raised slightly as I continued to look at him. "Y/N." I said, almost certain he was already aware of that but that didn't stop me from 'making a better first impression' or whatever. He looked pleased that I finally said something as he raised his hand to mine.

"Nice to meet you, Y/N." He said, shaking my hand. I was surprised by his kindness to be honest; I just held a knife to his throat and now it's as if it never happened. He almost seemed familiar, like maybe I knew him.

"Right come on let's go, we've got a lot of ground to cover." He explained as he stood again, extending his hand to mine. I took it as he helped me up and slowly, we walked out of the hut.

Newt's POV:

I tried to explain everything as we walked and although she wasn't a big talker, she had a lot of questions. It was almost as if she had a lot to say, but kept things quiet as she began to trust me. If anything, it should be me who is wary, after all, I was the one who was held at knife point not too long before.

The other Gladers took an interest in her as we walked around, barely taking their eyes off something so unfamiliar to them. I shot them all glares as they quickly got back to work. I looked down at my wrist to check my watch and saw that it was just past 5:30pm. Alby had told me earlier that Ben's punishment would be banishing, and as night time reared, I figured we should get some food before the whole thing started.

"Want to get some food? You must be starving, but don't worry, Frypan makes a mean chili." I said with a smirk lingering on my lips. Her eyes lifted to mine as she smiled slightly.

"Yeah sure, sounds good."

We began to head to the tables before she said something again. "I'm sorry for attacking you earlier, I just figured that when you wake up in an unknown place it's better to get on the defense, you know?" She explained, actually sounding sympathetic, which I did not expect. I smiled back at her, trying to express that it was okay just through facial expression before answering. "It's okay newbie, I forgive you." She smiled properly this time in response as I playfully nudged her shoulder with mine. We both laughed slightly before continuing to head over to the pungent smells of Frypan's kitchen.

"Greetings! What would the she-bean like as her first meal in the Glade?" he asked her, trying to be playful as I'm sure he had heard about what had happened earlier.

"Whatever you'd recommend." She said, pulling a bit of her hair behind her ear. I didn't realise, until she turned to me, that I was staring. I had known her for about three hours and already I can figure out that she wasn't one for showing much emotion.

Frypan handed her a bowl of chili and a few seconds later, handed me one also. I led the way to a free table as the others turned around to watch her. I pressed my lips together in a thin line as I began to eat. "I think I already know the answer to this question but we always gotta ask...do you remember anything about yourself from before?" She looked at me quickly before re-directing her eyes back at her food again. She shook her head, telling me no as I continued on with my food.

I heard footsteps behind me as I turned to see Thomas approaching, with a slightly concerned look on his face. He reached the table and sat don next to me.

"What are they going to do to him Newt? No one will tell me." The boy asked, looking longingly into my eyes. I diverted my gaze as I felt bad for what I had to tell him.

"At sun down he will be banished, Tom. I'm sorry, but it's the only thing we can do at this point." Our conversation had caught Y/N's attention as she watched us both intently, not saying a word.

He looked sad for the boy, and to be fair so did I, but we didn't have a choice.

He put his head in his hands and sat there for a few seconds before I interrupted whatever he was thinking. "Thomas this is Y/N. Y/N this is Thomas; he came up from the box yesterday." I said, getting them acquainted. He put his hand out in front of her so they could shake hands and after hesitating slightly, she took it.

"Hi, sorry, I should have introduced myself sooner," He said looking directly at her now. "That was quite a show you put on earlier. Didn't expect that when you first came up." He said, slightly laughing at me as I shot him a look. She turned her mouth up slightly before going back to her food.

I looked back at my watch and noticed the time.

The banishing was about to start.