fifteen: the escape

To be fair to the boy, it was a good plan. It was smart, and even though he had very little time to bring it together and get everyone on board, I had a feeling it was going to work.

We threw ideas back and forth, adding onto the spiral of thoughts everyone was thinking out loud. But in the end, it all came together as something we had faith in.

If this worked, we could be getting out of here, bringing as many people as possible to safety and hopefully, going home. Wherever that was.

"Do you think it will work?" Chuck looked up at Thomas, his eyes telling me he was scared, but on the outside he tried to hide it. He kept his hands together, intertwining his fingers in an effort to calm himself down. It seemed to be working, but for some reason I still wanted to go over to him and reassure him. Tell the boy that everything was going to be okay, even if I knew it might not be. I know I can't guarantee we'll all make it out alive. Once we've tackled Gally and his insane theories, we have to get past the Grievers. And then come up against whatever is on the other side. The thing that makes me most unnerved about this.

We don't know what's out there. And we won't until we make it through all the other obstacles.

"I think it will. I'm hopeful that it will." The boy looked just as frightened. He tore his eyes off the ground to look at Chuck, they both had the same expression. Fear.

"It'll be okay, Chuck. We'll be here the whole time." Newt said, wrapping his arm around the boy's neck to pull him into a sideways hug. It was a sweet exchange, something they seemed to have both needed. A hug.

"He'll be coming soon. To get you guys. You ready?" Minho asked, his eyes darting between the three of us still trapped in the pit as we all began to nod. I felt ready. I had only been here for four days, and I was already ready to leave. It was time.

--

The plan was in place. Thomas pretended to still be unconscious as Teresa sat next to him. I watched as Gally approached the pit, shaking his head in a look of disappointment.

As he grew to a stop, he knelt down in front of the metal bars, locking his eyes with mine. I glared at him as a small smirk appeared on his face. "Come on. You're not staying in here anymore." He moved forward to unlock the padlock they secured the pit with as he slowly opened the door. I didn't dare move, that would be the one thing to mess everything up.

"I haven't got all day." He spat, his mood changing rapidly as his goons started to appear behind him. I assume to escort us to our 'banishing'. I lifted my leg up to climb out the cell as four members of his little army came rushing towards me at once. They all held spears up to my throat, trembling slightly as they all struggled to maintain eye contact. I guess this is the treatment you get when you make one of their own cry.

I stood up, furrowing my brows at the boys surrounding me with sharpened weapons. Was this really necessary?

Teresa followed me out slowly, noticing the amount of people holding me at knife point. It was as if she read my mind. "Is that really necessary?" She asked, crossing her arms at Gally as he just rolled his eyes at her as if she was asking a ridiculous question.

"Do you not remember what happened last time? I am not letting that happen again." He walked over to me cautiously before hissing in my direction. "Understand me, Greenie?" I kept my expression cold, showing no emotion in my eyes as I stayed quiet.

He rolled his eyes once more at me ignoring his question as he turned to one of the others who weren't doing anything. "Get him out of the pit. NOW, GO." He certainly was not the most patient person out there, but to be honest, I wasn't really one to talk.