twenty one: the reason we're all still alive

Newt's POV:

The last of us were dragged off the helicopter as funnily enough, Thomas scrambled back on. The soldiers looked furious as they ran to grab the boy as finally, he found whatever he was looking for and stumbled back onto the platform.

One of the soldiers continued to usher us forward, while the others ran with us, shooting at things in the distance. I don't know what they are, but they seemed human. Almost human, anyway.

With the sound of the engines, the loud gun shots appearing all around and the shrieks coming from the things being shot, I could hear absolutely nothing else around me.

We ran towards a grand building, flooded with lights, which were sadly enough the only source of colour it had. Other than that, it was completely black.

It was eerie looking, as it stood tall and intimidating. I didn't have much time to get a good look at it as we were rushed forward, as the doors opened as one and we were pushed inside.

We were greeted by the exact same amount of chaos then we were outside. People running around crazily, with large machinery and supplies planted all around.

Everyone looked confused, as we just waited for someone to tell us what was going on while we watched the mayhem in front of us.

"You kids doing all right?" I turned my head to see a man approaching us with a coy smile. He was dressed casually as he stalked his way over to us, examining all of our faces as he did so. 

"Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm." He said with a chuckle as he finally reached the group and stopped in his tracks.

His gaze fell on everyone individually and I noticed something strange. When he looked at Thomas, he seemed slightly annoyed, when he looked at Y/n it was as if he was trying to hide some sort of glee, and when he looked at me it didn't seem good. He looked almost angry, but contained it very well. My brows knitted together in confusion as someone finally said something.

"Who are you?" Thomas asked, as he tried to contain his breath. He still looked exhausted as he clutched onto the figurine Chuck gave him.

That must have been what he ran back for. Makes sense now.

"I'm the reason you're all still alive." I could see Y/n roll her eyes at his words, as she turned away from the man. "And it's my intention to keep you that way."

I started to agree a little with what she was saying earlier. Something about him didn't feel right. But I pushed that feeling down, as just like I had said, we didn't have any other options.

"Now, come with me."

Y/N's POV:

We followed the man out the large supply room as he walked down some slim, yet still loud, pathways. Everyone exchanged looks as we walked, but I kept my eye line forward. Something about the guy...it was weird. All of it.

"We'll get you kids squared away." We continued to turn lots of corners, all the walls looking the same as we passed so many people. They all looked totally different in every way possible. 

Some you couldn't even see as they were wearing that strange uniform which covered everything, including their faces. That fact alone, also didn't sit right with me. The only reason you'd conceal your identify is because you're hiding something. Or you need to be hidden.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place." Although he was turned in the other direction, I didn't need to see his face to say he had a smug grin. Not awfully cocky, but still smug. I pushed my lips into a thin line and continued walking. I didn't think it would take this long to reach wherever we were headed, but then again, the building looked massive from the outside.

"For us this is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world." My eyes narrowed, thinking back to what it was like in the Glade. Even though we knew we were safe inside, it wasn't a sanctuary. Far from it actually.

The whole time I was there, it was chaos. Everyone was mortified and blaming each other. Banishing and attacking one another (some of which I take partial responsibility for). Even with the security of the Glade and the knowledge that we wouldn't be hurt by Griever's if we stayed out of the Maze, the whole experience was still traumatizing.

So, when he describes this place as a sanctuary, I have a hard time believing him.

"You should think of it as a sort of station. A home between homes." My head shot up at the mention of the word. Home. Somewhere that isn't here. I looked around as I saw everyone with the same expression: hope, confusion, excitement.

Minho asked what we were all thinking. "That mean you're taking us home?" He jogged up next to the man as he slowed next to him to hear his response.

"A home of sorts."

"Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you." He turned back slightly to the group as his eyes caught mine. I furrowed my brows in confusion as to why he was looking at me.

His gaze diverted from mine a few seconds later before continuing. "A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again." I fought the urge to look down at my arm as I swallowed thickly.

What if these people find out about the mark? What are they going to do then? Kick me out? I would if I just rescued someone who looked like they might work for the enemy.

"How does that sound?" He turned completely around this time, addressing the crowd before him as he stopped slowly in front of us. "Why are you helping us?" Just like me it seemed, Minho had reservations about these people. It all seemed too good to be true, and I'm glad that he was pointing it out.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread." He turned around once more and headed back down the direction he was previously walking in. "The fact that you kids can survive the virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target."

We finally reached a halt as he stopped us in front of a door. "Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first...let's do something about that smell." A smirk fell on the man's lips as he slowly opened the door to reveal large showers.

"Girls to the left, boys to the right."

They were separated into different sections as the others hurried down the corridor to go shower, as Teresa and I were left by ourselves.

To new beginnings, I guess. 

-

A/N: Ugh, i was never a fan of Janson, but sadly he is a vital part of the story soo here he is ig. I've got some interesting chapters coming so i'd love to know people's thoughts on them <33