ten: the syringe

They stopped in their tracks as soon as they crossed over the threshold, both visibly out of breath and panicked. Thomas had something strange in his hand, I couldn't see what it was, but it sure as hell didn't look like an everyday item.

"This came up with Teresa." Thomas said quickly, not even giving anyone a chance to speak. 

I guess that's her name then, weird introduction but I guess we'll take it. 

"What is it?" Newt asked, looking skeptical at the two.

"I'm not sure, but my best guess is that it could help Alby. We need to use it."

Newt shook his head without hesitation, as he didn't seem too fond of the idea. "We don't even know what this stuff is. For all we know, it could kill him." The blonde took what looked like two vials from Thomas' hand, examining them in his own.

"He's already dying, Newt. Look at him. How could this possibly make it any worse?" Newt looked down at his friend, writhing in pain. I turned my head to look at the boy, as I noticed how sad his eyes looked; I knew how much it was hurting him to watch. 

Newt held the vials out to Thomas, refusing to meet anyone's gaze as he rubbed his chin and stared down at the floor. "Do it."

Thomas looked at him surprised but without hesitation, took one from his hand and removed the lid, unveiling a large syringe. I swallowed hard, not looking forward to what was about to happen. As soon as I saw the boy hold it up in his hand, I finally got a good look at it. It was a grey vial with blue liquid inside of it, but as he turned it over, my heart sank as I read the letters on the side of it. 

W.C.K.D.

Just like what it said on my arm. Just like on the Griever.

Thomas knelt down next to the boy, bringing his arm up slowly. Just as he readied himself to inject Alby, the boy grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. Panic picked up again as he started to hiss, "You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't be here!" Thomas' eyes widened as he struggled to get out of Alby's grasp and in the panic, he dropped the vial to the ground.

Luckily it didn't smash as it wasn't a big drop, however it did make things harder as the others scrambled to pick it up. "Get the syringe!" he called out to no one in particular, "Let go!"

In a quick motion, the girl grabbed the syringe off the floor and plunged the needle into the boy's chest. We all stood back in shock, eyes glued to the new arrival. Out of everything, I surely didn't expect that from her. 

"Well, that worked." Jeff said, breathing heavily.

"Okay, from now on...someone stays here and watches him around the clock." Newt announced, taking charge once again. No one knew what to say, we just steadied our breathing and looked among each other, still slightly stunned.

I didn't even notice Gally enter.

"Hey. Sundown Greenie. Time to go." Teresa looked at Thomas in confusion before he picked himself off the ground and followed Gally outside.

"Right, everyone to their beds. Teresa is it?" The girl nodded as Newt continued. "Hi, I'm Newt, this is Y/N and over there is Jeff." She nodded her head in our direction, trying to flash an exhausted smile. "If it's alright with Jeff I'd like you to stay here tonight for supervision, as earlier you were unconscious." She looked at him confused as she slowly took a step back. 

"Don't worry it's just a a precaution." Jeff chimed in, trying to sound comforting. "Y/N, you can sleep in one of the rooms in the homestead. I don't think it's the smartest decision putting you in with the others." Newt continued. 

I nodded in agreement and followed him outside, watching the sun drift behind the walls as entered the evening air. 

The boy didn't say anything as he led me all the way from the Med-hut to the Homestead, and as it seemed he didn't want to chat, I decided to stay quiet, also. It was obvious the day had been stressful for him, and if anything, I did not want to be the one to make it worse. 

We finally reached the entrance, as he stopped shortly in front of it, carefully turning around to face me. 

"Night." He said, smiling at me warmly even though I knew he was exhausted. 

"Night." I replied as I watched him turn around and head off in the opposite direction. I watched him closely, his hair blowing just slightly in the wind that moved its way through the Glade. 

I stood there for a few more seconds before I heard footsteps coming through the grass to my right. I turned to see Chuck, beaming at me from a few meters away. I don't know what it was about the boy, but he always seemed to lift my mood just slightly. Everything about him just felt infectious. 

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" I asked the boy, fronting a grin. He exhaled with a laugh, shaking his head in slight embarrassment.

He seemed almost awkward as he kept his eyes locked on the grass, not wanting to meet my gaze. "Hey, can I sleep with you tonight? I just don't really want to be alone." He explained, looking up at me with big gleaming eyes. I looked back at him with surprise before finding myself responding quicker than I had planned to.

"Sure." I said, although in my head that was not what I had planned on saying. His eyes widened with joy and I don't know what it was, but I felt bad for the kid. 

I didn't even get a chance to say anything more before he moved forward quickly, wrapping his arms around my torso. 

It was a hug. The sheer act made me stiffen up, but I pushed aside how uncomfortable I was as I told myself it wasn't about me. He clearly needed one, and I just so happened to be on the receiving end of it. 

I had a hunch that I didn't receive hugs often before the Glade. I hesitated for a second before reciprocating, as I wrapped my arms around his neck, my hands getting caught in his fluffy hair. 

He was warm, as I must have felt freezing compared to him. He let me go after a few seconds before saying, "Is this where you're staying then?" I nodded in response. "Makes sense I guess." He said with a smile, as he turned for the door. 

I began to walk in with him right by my side, looking around the place again before entering a room with a bed in it. I laid down and immediately realised how tired I was, as keeping my eyes open felt like a chore. 

 Chuck followed me in and laid down next to me, as it honestly shocked me how comfortable he seemed by my presence.  If anything, I thought I was off putting, but sure enough, he huddled under the covers and closed his eyes slowly. 

Human interaction was still a bit strange to me, but for whatever reason, Chuck seemed to be a small exception. I didn't feel the need to lash out and kick him off the bed, as I'm sure I'd have no trouble doing to anyone else here. 

But Chuck was different. He reminded me of a little brother.

Someone who I would protect for as long as I was alive.