epilogue <3

Disorientated and blurry, cold and stiff. 

I could feel people's hands on me, carrying me somewhere far away, to safety.

I couldn't open my eyes, or speak in any way – but I knew I felt something.

And I wasn't just talking about physical pain; and while that did seriously hurt, something much more distressing felt at large.

I tried to find it, search for this missing piece of me that I couldn't recall – the background noise made it harder.

The environment was loud and crowded, people were screaming and crying, and the smell of flames and blood filled my nose.

I knew exactly where I was.

But I still couldn't open my eyes.

I knew one thing, however.

I could feel it coming back to me, very slowly, painfully so. Something important – something I would never normally forget. I cared about it, and I missed it.

Whatever it was.

I felt the hands that were carrying me lower me onto a metal table, making me even colder than before.

People were speaking, shaking me rigorously to wake up.

I wanted to yell at them that I was awake, and to ask if they could just leave me. I needed to remember, and they were being distracting.

I could make out a sound. "Sir, are you okay? Sir? Please answer if you can." A woman's voice appeared, and I didn't even think about responding.

Because whatever I was supposed to be remembering felt more important.

"Sir? Please give us a sign that you can hear me."

Ignore it.

I felt close to it – the memory of whatever it was. It was just at the edge, and I could feel it about to teeter over.

It is important, I know it.

"Sir? Sir?"

And then it clicked.

A short whisper, probably barely audible, but I knew what it was. I know now, and won't ever forget again.

"Y/n..."