forty three: the not so approachable

Due to our thinning resources, most people were sent to work on crop fields or make food for the others. So, as a pass time, I pulled weeds from the ground and planted corn seeds.

It wasn't particularly interesting, and I hated the idea of doing this for the rest of my life, but we had to work, and this killed two birds with one stone.

Gain resources and give us jobs to do.

It was only my first day of it, and I was instantly realising that I hated gardening and everything to do with it. I have no idea how they managed to do this in the Glade without complaining.

But I decided to suck it up and not say anything, as I know they did this every day in the Glade for three years, and if anything, that was said to be the easiest job to be given.

The sun was so hot I thought it would tear skin from my body, during which I realised that it basically never rained here. It was a seriously rare occurrence, which couldn't be good for the crops. But it seems that Vince and his men got basic plumbing sorted scarily fast, so water from a tap was never much of an issue.

Even with a long day of work, I still couldn't seem to drift off into sleep. I sighed quietly, annoyed that everyone else seemed to be able to fall asleep almost immediately, whereas I had barely gotten three hours of rest in the last forty-eight hours.

I rolled over to my side, watching the moon bounce off the ocean from afar. The view of the safe haven was actually really beautiful, as I laid there and watched the sea lap tentatively onto the shore.

It didn't take me long to sigh heavily and decide I've had enough. So, I stood abruptly and slid on my shoes once again, as I headed out of the sleeping quarters.

I walked through the crisp air with not really a place in mind, however, still determined to find something quiet and secluded. I felt as if it might be impossible as I struggled to find somewhere that gave me the satisfaction of peace and a view, but after about five minutes of walking around aimlessly, I stumbled across a tucked away cliff edge.

It was stunning, and just like I had wanted - the opening looked out over the ocean. Out of all places, this was definitely the most discrete and tucked away, as I don't think I've ever seen anyway go up here before.

So, without thinking, I walked over to the edge, and sank down into the sand. It felt warm beneath me, as I pulled my legs out from under me and placed my palms behind me into the sand. I closed my eyes slowly, while I inhaled the air around me.

I felt much less trapped out here. In the sleeping quarters I always feel a little claustrophobic with so many people, and I don't know or trust half of them. Most people give me either petrified or angry looks from afar, so I can never really tell who hates me or who is just simply afraid.

But it doesn't bother me; I don't need them any more then they need me.

With another inhale, I slumped either further into the sand, allowing the soft texture to find the crevices in my fingers and toes. And only then did I let myself relax – but of course, that type of feeling never lasts longer than a couple seconds.

I was suddenly dragged out of my thoughts to the sound of a twig snapping behind me, and I wasted no time in jumping to my feet and getting into a defensive position.

"Hey, calm down. It's just me."

Out of the shadows, a figure emerged, showing the blonde tufts of hair I am ever so fond of. I should have known it would be Newt.

I sighed and sat back down again. "What are you doing here?" I asked carefully, as I watched him scuffle over and plop himself down beside me.

"I saw you leave, and I tried to catch up with you, but you hurried off so bloody fast I struggled to find you." He said, as he leaned back, placing his palms in the sand.