Ch 40: Jailbreak

Once they were "registered" the trio were pushed through a hallway near the desk, which blinked minutely when they trespassed through it. At the end of the hall was a vast room with several cells all lined up in a circle around an open floor. Some appeared to be the classical bar cage door while others appeared completely open. A few of the cells appeared occupied by various Parliel species. Beneath their feet the floor was a tiled, intricate mosaic with a fancy tree emblem and several symbols decorating its center. There were no windows nor doors of any kind at that level. High above the floor were spiraling walkways with many Marlaylan guards encircling the place and a dome that let in natural light from above. It seemed an odd prison...if that's indeed what it was.

The trio were taken across the wide-open floor where Sig and Helia were removed of their cuffs and pushed into a cave-like cell with no door or bars. There was a place for water and toilet as well as two slots with minimal bedding. Before they could wonder why their cell didn't have bars, one of the guards took a crystal from his neck and touched another crystal on the outside of the cell. A brief blink of light was the only indication something had happened. Helia experimentally tried to put her hand outside the cell but it stopped, flashing with pink light. It didn't hurt her but it also felt like a solid wall of rock. Some sort of magic barrier.

"Wouldn't touch that too often if I were you, human." The centaur guard warned, "Touch it often enough and it will start to hurt."

Meanwhile, Kendrick was put in a cell nearby with what looked like iron cage bars; a more traditional-looking prison cell. He entered compliantly, just glancing around at the place.

"Why does mine have bars and theirs doesn't?" he asked.

"Non-magic users are contained by a magic barrier. Magic users and cursed prisoners like you get iron bars." Was the short explanation from an Elven guard. "These are the nicer cells. Behave and you won't go to the ones beneath Marlayla."

The door was locked and the pair of guards walked away, their duty complete.

Kendrick took a tired seat on the floor, putting his back to the stony wall. It appeared he was still feeling under the weather.

Helia waved at him to get his attention, "All right, Kendrick. What the Hell are you doing now?"

"Sitting."

"Not that smart ass. What's your plan? You've obviously got something in mind." she whispered with irritation.

A smirk crossed his face as he subtly gestured to the room, "I think you already know what I'm planning, Slayer."

She made a face of uncomfortable realization and Sig did as well, "Yeah...that's what scares me."

"You don't think it will work?"

Helia moved her eyes cautiously, "Oh I know it will work for you...Sig and I...not so much."

Kendrick laughed, shaking his head at her, "I wasn't going to let them take you both away, wipe out your memories, and stand by whilst Twillow got arrested for trying to help you." He huffed, "You think I'd go through all this only to get you both killed?"

The slayer sighed and glanced around the room once, "Well...if it works then I'll thank you in advance. But if you crush us then I'm going to preemptively say, "Damn you, you sadistic son of bitch.""

Kendrick chuckled to himself, "Just be ready when I tell you."

Sig stood beside Helia with a surprising grin on his face, "Hey! Did I just see what I thought I saw back there? You kissed Twillow!"

"Oh. Heh...yeah."

The wizard gave Helia a friendly, excited shoulder pat of congratulations since he couldn't do it to Kendrick. Helia gave him a funny look but smiled anyway at the wizard's enthusiasm.