Ch 19- Taken

At a distance over the forest...

The afternoon sun shone brightly over the Northern Woods, early summer in full flower. Then, the ideal setting was disturbed by a crackling of yellowish lightning and a sudden gale of wind whipping the trees. Golden liquid fell to the trees in thick globs as the portal opened with a bright flash that challenged the Lower Realm sun. The portal to the Parliel Realm was opened just large enough for two figures to fling themselves through before it closed with a violent crackle of energy. Then the day stilled, returning to pleasant normality.

...

Earlier...

Kendrick arrived back at his home a little over an hour later as Helia had been killing the spiders well beyond the border of his typical range. He traversed through his home to find Twillow in the garden. He placed Hershel on the ground, making sure his tiny reins were tied to one of his corn stalks so he wouldn't run away. The horse freaked out a bit but began calming, even sniffing and nibbling at the huge plant he was tied to; no doubt the biggest corn stalk he'd ever tasted.

Kendrick then peeked in the window of Twillow's summer house. She was inside reading a book in her bed.

"Twillow?"

She looked up, "Kendrick! You're back. How was your day?"

"Oh. Eventful. I have a surprise for you." He announced.

Twillow put down her book and came out onto the branch that made her porch, "What is it?"

"Close your eyes." He requested.

Twillow was about to do so when Helia's voice shouted from his pocket, "Oh, for God's SAKE, Kendrick! I'm not a present! Let me out of here!"

Kendrick gave a slight look of irritation but reached into his pocket to pluck out the woman, "Now why did you have to ruin the surprise, Slayer?"

"Helia?" Twillow was indeed surprised and a bit mortified.

Kendrick was about to release Helia when a thought occurred to him. He wiggled his hand slightly as he pinched her chainmail jerkin in his fingers.

"What is this made of?"

"Put me down, Kendrick!" Helia protested with a kick.

He held her higher in front of his eyes, "Is your chainmail made of iron?"

"It's an alloy of iron yes. Put me down!"

"Take that off before you get near Twillow." He ordered with seriousness. "I would be...displeased...if you burned her."

Helia nearly forgot about that small bit of mythos surrounding fae. She had seen first-hand that Twillow could be hurt by iron.

Perhaps that's why Twillow didn't hug her when they parted ways last time? She should've reminded her...she would have gladly removed the metal.

"I will. I will." Helia assured him.

He put her down on the branch and Helia staggered a bit, regaining her legs from the long ride. Then she happened to see she was up in a huge tree and her eyes got big. When she found her balance, she removed the chain mail and laid it down behind her. Twillow stepped forward and grabbed her arms in a friendly way.

The redhead balanced herself and looked at her, "Hey, Twillow. Why didn't you tell me about the chainmail last time?"

"I didn't want to be rude." She admitted. "You just got it all on and I didn't want to make you take it off."