Ch 18- Visit Soon!

A few days later...

Kendrick was returning from the daily patrol of his territory, as was his routine. It had been a quiet day; no poachers, no trespassers. However, this also left him alone with his thoughts, which as of late had been consumed with Twillow. A little over a month had passed since he had made the difficult decision of burying his feelings for his fae friend in lieu of admitting them to her. He, in essence, sealed up his hearts' desires behind metal plating and doors to ensure they would be contained and their friendship safe. At first he was convinced he would be content with that choice.

However, little things would pick and probe at the metal doors of his hearts, searching for weak points. Her soft, demure smile, the quick flutter of her wings when she was amused, the way her skin would light up when she was happy, the musical sound of her laugh. And the gods help him if she ever kissed his cheek; it was like setting off explosives against those metal doors. They buckled but he kept them shut, resealing them. But now he could tell that his efforts were not fully effective and his supposed "contentment" with just their friendship seemed so much less...content.

It seemed like everyday he had to mentally coach himself, "You can do this. It won't be hard to still be her friend. You've done it without thinking about it for a year now...you can do this!"

He returned home and traipsed down the tunnel that led to his garden. Given it was a pretty hot day he was sure Twillow would be in the shady little summer house he'd built for her and placed in his garden. He kept his steps quiet. Even though she wasn't truly afraid of him anymore like in the beginning, he still was mindful that his size was still intimidating to her; another harsh reality that hurt his hearts when he pondered his desires for her.

He exited the tunnel and entered the mountain valley that concealed his garden. In the first apple tree he could see the fae's little house amid the foliage. He maneuvered his head, peeking through the windows searching for her.

She wasn't there.

Frowning, Kendrick let his nose tell him where she was and before long he figured it out.

The small lake at the far end of his garden.

Still keeping quiet he made his way through the orchard path between the trees to the very end where the small lake twinkled in the sun. Fed from the other mountain streams, it wasn't big enough for Kendrick to bathe in; his bathing lake lay a couple miles to the south of his home. But the small lake did help hydrate his garden and was good for simple hand washes, cooking, or even a crisp drink. According to his nose, Twillow was by the lake.

As he came closer he saw a glistening flash on a rock just out away from the shore; Twillow's wings glinting in the sun. She was laid out on her back, wings flat, sunning herself. He was about to call out to her when he stopped, eyes wide. Twillow's tiny dress was neatly laid out on the shore and she...she lay completely naked on the rock.

Kendrick couldn't think...he didn't dare move. A flush of heat surged through him like a wildfire, setting him ablaze. He knew he shouldn't... but his wondered eyes couldn't tear away from every delicate curve, every tiny inch of her smooth green skin that bared itself before him. A perfect, petite flower basking in the light.

The 'metal plating' of his hearts was breaking, being pushed against by that yearning.

Oh...lord.

"Don't let her see you dummy!" his mind all but screamed with panic.

With an abrupt, backward step he hid behind one of his trees and held perfectly still. His hearts were beating so loud he was sure she would be able to hear them. He exhaled through his nose, soothing the pounding in his chest.