Ch 15- Melting the Icy Hearts

Months later into winter...

It was a particularly cold winter night and both Kendrick and Twillow had gone to their respective beds. Twillow's hanging bed was positioned strategically near the fireplace to keep her extra warm and Kendrick had even sealed off the outer entrances to his home to keep out the cold for her.

The fire in the fireplace crackled gently, lighting the darkened cavern with a soft, warm, orange glow. Kendrick was about relaxed enough to drift off to sleep when he heard a small hissing sound. He lifted his head and strained to listen. It didn't take him long to realize it was sniffling accompanied by gentle sobs. Quietly he propped himself up on the backs of his elbows. It sounded like Twillow was crying. He mentally tried to rationalize why she would be crying.

Was she sick? Was she upset with him? Did he do something to make her cry? Was she afraid?

With an abrupt swing of his legs he rose from his bed and gently padded across the stone floor toward the fireplace where her bed hung. As he approached he could see the fae curled up in her bed, her face buried in the blankets and her winged shoulders shook with sobs.

"Twillow?" he whispered.

She startled, lifting her wet face abruptly, "Huh?"

"You...you're crying. Why?" he asked, "Did I do something to upset you?"

Twillow wiped the wetness from her faintly glowing green cheeks, "No. No. It's not you, Kendrick. I...I guess I'm just feeling homesick."

"Oh." Kendrick really wasn't sure what to say to that statement.

Being a giant, he was pretty independent and he never left his home range so he'd never been homesick.

Hearing Twillow say that made him wonder if their living arrangement wasn't working anymore. Everything seemed to be going smoothly to him. But that didn't mean anything. Though she didn't seem afraid of him anymore it didn't mean she enjoyed living with him.

Maybe she was putting on an act just so he wouldn't be offended or feared he'd be angry if she admitted such a thing?

"Are you...unhappy here?" he inquired cautiously; fearing the answer might be 'yes'.

She shook her head, "No. It's nothing like that, Kendrick. I just...I just miss my family...and my home in the Parliel Realm."

"Oh. I see." Kendrick looked away from her awkwardly, "I'm...I'm sorry you miss your home. If there's anything I can do to make this more "homey" for you...?"

Again, the fae shook her head and laid back down in her little bed, "I'll be alright, Kendrick. Thank you for your concern." She granted him a small smile, "I'm sorry to have woke you. Good night."

"Um...good night, Twillow." He murmured, shuffling back to his own bed.

As Kendrick sat on the edge of his bed he glanced across the room at Twillow's little bed and then at the room surrounding. He never truly thought of it before but despite the fact that his home was very comfortable for him it was very out of proportion for Twillow. If not for her wings she couldn't even traverse his home.

How could she feel "at home" in a place where she was the smallest thing in it?

Kendrick didn't want her to be sad and he certainly didn't want her to regret living with him. He laid back down on his bed, staring at the ceiling as an idea began percolating.

...

Throughout the winter Kendrick and Twillow had been in essence 'shut in' together and had gotten to be much closer friends through building conversations and simply spending many days in each other's company. He rarely smelled fear scent from her anymore which relieved him. He couldn't deny he enjoyed her companionship. He'd spent countless seasons of his adult life alone and before Twillow came he never realized how desolate winter always felt. But with the winged fae as company, winter didn't seem to last as long. There were times he'd catch himself just watching her for no particular reason and feeling happy just knowing she was there.