Ch 9- Acclimating

A/N: This is an additional chapter I wrote that I felt needed to be in the story. So enjoy those of you who have read this before :)

Twillow gave Kendrick an expression of surprise when he told her of the human wizard he had allowed to stay in his forest and whom had made this huge garden possible.

Kendrick gestured to his garden broadly, "Fair trade wouldn't you say?"

"It's...amazing." Twillow stated, gazing around her.

"It's something I've always wanted." He mentioned as he moved toward one of the apple trees to pick the fruit.

Twillow landed on the huge leaf of a squash plant which sank minutely under her weight, "There are lots of beautiful gardens in the Parliel Realm. Not like this one though. I like it. It's very surreal."

Kendrick picked an apple and glanced over his shoulder briefly, "Well...you can come here whenever you wish."

"I'd like that." She admitted.

From behind the apple tree Kendrick retrieved a large basket that looked like it was weaved with paper thin slices of entire trees. He deposited the produce he'd collected into it. Then he knelt down next to the vegetables and began uprooting sapling trees from under the leaves as if they were weeds. Twillow watched, awed by the ease of such a powerful task. He found a particularly large sapling trying to shoot up amid his garden but was unable to pull it with one hand. The giant stood, gripped the tree in both hands, and using his legs tore the tree from the ground with a loud cracking rip. As the spidery roots erupted from the ground, he flung dirt in all directions, accidentally throwing a good portion of dirt onto Twillow.

"Ack!" she cried out, shielding her eyes and dropping her wings back against the shower of dirt.

Twillow spit, feeling dirt crunch in her teeth as she shook off her wings. The movement made the squash leaf she was standing on dip, sending her sliding off. Kendrick dropped the tree in an instant and shot his hand over to catch her before she hit the ground. The fae tumbled down into his palm where she flicked her wings and shook dirt from her iridescent hair. She then gently wiped the corners of her eyes.

"Oh...damn it." Kendrick's voice rumbled in a frustrated tone.

Very quickly he blew a gust of air over her to rid her of the dirt. She squeaked and fell back in his hand from the force of it. When her violet eyes opened, her whole body tensed when she realized he was holding her in one massive hand. Kendrick grimaced, freezing. She looked like she was ready to fly away.

"Way to go dummy. Dump dirt all over her and scare her too." His thoughts scolded.

"Uh...heh. Sorry." He apologized carefully tipping his hand near the ground so she slid off onto her feet.

Twillow smoothed down her hair and flicked her wings with a nervous shake as his hand pulled away. He had an expression of mild embarrassment as he averted his eyes from her.

"It-It's ok. It's just dirt." She finally reassured him.

"I'm...not really used to minding my own strength." He admitted, "I'll have to be more careful of that."

After an awkward moment, Kendrick cleared his throat and returned to 'weeding' his garden for a bit before he finished and took up the basket of produce he just picked.

He glanced at her over his shoulder, "You can stay here as long as you want. I'll leave the door open for you."

"Ok." Twillow agreed as he parted the ivy curtain to the tunnel entrance and disappeared. "Thank you..."