Chapter 12

For days, life went on the way it was supposed to do but log after log turned to dust and filled the small building with warmth.

"This is one of the last logs. Let's hope this ends soon or else, we'll have a problem." Barnes kneeled in front of the small fireplace as he spoke, a frown on his defined face.

"Yes. It'd be better if it did. Surely, I can keep it on as long as I'm awake but it'll not take long till I fall asleep." Angle paced the floor as she thought of a solution but she came up empty. She couldn't keep the fire burning as much as she wanted.

The sun was setting as the last log crackled lowly. The two were now trying to capture the last warmth within the blanket that they were huddled up under but the cold picked on their feet at times.

Just as they were about to doze off, a sound alerted both of them. The snow was still too high for anyone and still, they heard steps just outside the house. Winter crept towards his weapons while the woman made her way over to their emergency bags. Just as she was about to reach them, thick coats already in hands, the door ripped open and armed men rushed in; Hydra. The colonel and the sergeant dove through a window into the high snow. Darkness was on their side as the sun dipped behind the large forest, wrapping the two into dark shadows.

After half an hour of running and a then minutes flight to end the line of footprints, they reached their destination. Expecting something like this to happen, the two had searched for a place to hide previously. A cave now offered a place to sleep at. A small layer of snow covering its ground.

"We'll stay at best till morning and then go and try to sneak onto the airport," she spoke, reaching for the small pile of branches. The brunette hummed as he took a seat on the ground. Now, only cold stone was beneath them, as the small fire crackled behind some big branches of conifers that were hung onto the cave ceiling to hide it from the rest of the world.

"Come here," Winter offered as he laid down, his feet towards the source of warmth. The woman crawled into his embrace, wrapping her arms tight around the man's. She saw that he was freezing even with the protection of the cave and the fire. Without a word, she tucked open his coat as well as hers and coddled into his chest, giving him her warmth the best she could.

--- Time Skip ---

After roundabout two hours of sleep, Angle arose from her slumber, a shivering body pressed to hers.

"Winter?" she asked as her eyes trailed upwards to his face. His skin was pale except a bride red color tinting his nose and cheeks.

"Winter!" Panic rose in her as she noticed how dangerously cold the man was. Instincts kicked in as she pulled the knife from his belt to slice open her coat and hoody. Her black wings extended as she pulled the man to his feet, his eyes ghosting open for a split second.

"Don't you dare to freeze to death on me mister," she hissed as black feathers embraced the man's body.

---

Black fluffy material shielded Sergeant Barnes from the ground as a breeze carried small white dots into the cave. They lowered onto black wings, as well as onto soft fur. A metal arm was wrapped around it tightly as the creature with the wings and the soft fur warmed him, liquid fire pulsing through its vines.

A groan erupted while warming rays fell upon the ground. His senses came back to him while a weight laid upon his chest.

"Angel," he muttered as his eyes opened but he was stiff suddenly as blue-grey orbs focused onto the something wrapped around him. The hair that covered the figure's head shortened as it grew down its head and turned into soft fur, holding the warmth in the cocoon that saved him from turning into ice.

"Angel?" he asked, trailing his hand over her back. The woman's eyes opened, adjusting to the bright light.

"Hey," the male voice hummed as she unwrapped herself from the man. Her arms were tight around his abdomen while her legs were tangled with his.

"Since when do you have fur?" he asked, his voice still hoarse from sleep.

"What?" she asked, looking down on him confused.

"You have fur," he stated. With eyes wide and mouth open, she looked at her hands. The insides were still as usual but the back and the brims were coated with soft fur. After some moments, her hands touched her face, feeling it there as well.

"Please tell me I don't have a wet black nose and ears..." she frowned, looking the brunette in the eyes. A smile flashed over his face as he understood what she was referring to.

"Don't worry, you don't." The woman exhaled relieved, her shoulders slumping in a now calmer matter.

The two stood up from the ground, stretching to chase away the last parts of sleep. While they searched for a bit of dry wood, the pair talked about the last night.

"Then I guess thank you," the male cooed as he carried some of the wood.

"There is nothing to thank me for," she smiled.

As they were warming up, the woman's fur vanished and soon after, nothing remembered of the strange happening. After eating the less food they had hidden there previously, the two ex-assassins made their way towards the airport. Without anyone noticing, they climbed into the back of a plane and soon took off.