[3] pottery

The Next Day

I walk into school and run into Kate on the way to homeroom. 

"Hey BJ, sorry about our fight yesterday. I was really out of it. Honestly, I don't even remember what we were fighting about in the first place haha."

Well, that's because you were super drunk. "It's cool, I probably said a few things I shouldn't have either. Sorry about that." 

"No worries" she responds and we continue to talk and walk to our homerooms.

The days pass and it's finally Friday. First period of the day, Spanish. I walk into class and sit in my assigned seat. 

"Good morning friends, I have a fun project for you all! And guess what.... it's a partnered assignment!" 

Yes! I really hope I get partnered with Peter. We haven't talked much since Kate's party but we've been exchanging smiles and glances at each other. Sometimes he even catches me staring at him. And if I get partnered with him, I'll get to spend more time with him. Mrs. Jones continues to explain the project. 

"You and your partner will have the weekend and some class time on Monday to create a presentation on a specific part of Día De Los Muertos!" 

Why are we even covering Day of The Dead, it's literally September, she couldn't wait for the month to end and it to be October? 

"It CAN'T be a boring google slide. I want you to be creative. You can make a dance, or a song, or a work of art. Orrr you can make a plain old poster" I can tell you right now, nobody's making a dance or song.

"I'll pass out everyone's paring and what you will be doing your presentation on." 

And, of course, I didn't get Peter as my partner. Instead, I got Laurant, which isn't bad. We have to do our presentation on what you need to include on an altar for Día De Los Muertos. I'm really just leaning toward using Coco as my source of information and making a "plain old poster" but I'll ask my partner what he wants. 

"So Laurant, what do you want to make for our presentation?" I ask. 

"Well, I know you probably want to make a poster, but I thought it'd be fun to make an artwork. I do a lot of pottery, at home with my dad and we could make a vase or something for our project." 

"I mean, sure, let's make pottery," I say, " I think Mrs. Jones will really like that".

I not against making something other than a poster, it just that a poster would be so much easier. But it sounds like Laurant is really good at this so he'll probably do most of the work. For the rest of class me and Laurant work on the design of the vase, making sure to include all the major parts of an alter. 

*Bell rings* 

"Well, that's all I have for today's class, you'll have to work on the rest outside of class and on Monday." 

"We can make it at my house tomorrow," Laurant says. 

"Yeah, and once it dries, I'll paint all the stuff on it," I add. Then we part ways for second period.

time skip 

The weekend comes and I get ready to go to Laurant's house. I put on a pair of cotton shorts and a random t-shirt that I don't mind getting dirty. I get in my car and I'm on my way. I get to his house and ring his doorbell. After a few seconds, an older man comes to the door. 

"Hello, what can I do for you?" he asks. 

"I'm just here to work on my Spanish project with Laurant."