CHAPTER TWO

FAILING DOWN

FAILING DOWN

Walking hand-in-hand, Heather and Pacey made their way through the hallways of Capeside High, Heather using her free hand to wave at those who greeted her in passing while the Witter boy grumbled "You know, they want to see me in the guidance office after school."

"So?" Heather questioned.

Pacey raised an eyebrow over at the girl "So... do they want to see you in the guidance office after school?"

"Well, I will see him at home." Heather sighed "My dad's taking over temporarily until they find a replacement for Mr. Milo."

"Mr. Milo's gone?" Pacey questioned in surprise.

Heather nodded "Early retirement down the coast."

"Well, Mr. Milo or no Mr. Milo, it's a bad sign." Pacey frowned "It means they're signalling me out already."

The Leery girl frowned as she stopped to face the boy "Pacey, I'm sure it's just some formality after being on academic watch last year."

"Yeah, yeah, I guess we'll see." he muttered before wrapping his arms around her waist, sighing when he raised his hand to wave a passing football player only to be ignored "Do you know how popular I could've been be this year if you hadn't quit the cheer squad?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, how selfish of me." She mockingly frowned before it melted into a smile as the boy pulled her closer "Senior year will be tough enough working at the restaurant, I didn't need cheer on top of it. Beside's, without Jen it just really wasn't fun anymore."

Pacey nodded before his head tilted, eyes alight with mischief "You still have the uniform though, right?"
🛶

Heather raised an eyebrow at her brother as she sat in his wicker chair, watching as he framed some of his freshly developed photos from the Dive-In "So, how was it today? Being back in land of Joey."

"We're uh, taking it one day at a time." He admitted, not looking her way "Me and Joey... Me and Pacey."

The Leery girl rolled her eyes, ready to argue when a knock came from the door and the twins looked up to see their father poking his head in the room "Hey, kids."

Dawson smiled "What's up, dad?"

"I uh, I actually came up here to see Heather." Mitch admitted, turning to the girl "Have you spoken to Pacey since school?"