CHAPTER FIVE

A FAMILY WAY

A FAMILY WAY

Breakfast at the Leery house was a morning like any other, with Gail plating up freshly made pancakes as Heather chopped up some fruit to pair with the syrup. Dawson had just finished setting the orange juice out on the table when he spotted Mitch storming into the kitchen, eyes hard "Dad, what's wr—"

"Now," Mitch looked to Heather who frowned "I'm not as naive to think my teenage daughter who spent an entire summer alone with her boyfriend would return a virgin, but I do expect you to not be so stupid that you would ruin your life at 17!"

"Dad!" Her eyes widened "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about this." He held a positive pregnancy test up "You left it in the trashcan."

Heather blinked out of her shock as she shook her head emphatically "Dad, that's not mine."

"Oh, then who's is it?" He scoffed "Dawson's?"

"It's mine." All heads snapped to Gail who sighed heavily "I'm the one that's pregnant."

Mitch froze before a grin grew across his feet and he crossed the kitchen to pull his wife into his arms "Alright, the first thing we do is get you to a doctor as soon as possible to confirm your results and make sure eveything's okay."

"This is so exciting!" Heather gushed as she looked to her parents "It better be a girl."

Mitch smiled at his daughter's enthusiasm, silently promising to buy her a tub of ice cream just for her by way of apology before he spotted Dawson heading for the back door "Where are you going?"

"Uh, I'm late." He gave a quick smile "It's my first day painting Mr. Brook's house."

His father frowned "Aren't you going to say anything first?"

Dawson swallowed, giving a glance to his mother who sighed "Congratulations."
🛶

Heather hadn't been able to keep the news to herself, blurting it out the moment she joined Jen and Joey at the lunch table. But whilst the blonde joined in on her enthusiasm, Joey merely stayed silent as she pushed around her food. Heather frowned as she looked to her best friend "What's wrong, Jo?"

"Nothing." The Potter girl shrugged unconvincingly "My mashed potatoes are cold."

"Tragic." Jen mocked in amusement.

Joey sighed before groaning "My mashed potatoes are cold and so am I."

Jen shared a look with Heather before questioning the brunette "Is this about sex?"