Bonus Chapter - Famille ou Amour?

There were many things that I regretted in my, to date, short life.

Currently, what I regretted most was ever introducing Beth to my cousin.

Beth had made her disdain for the wealthy clear during the time I'd known her at Netherfield Academy, yet she didn't seem to have qualms about spending time with Freddie. It may have been his affable nature, or because he treated her like an equal without once commenting on their social standing, or it may have been because they were similarly immature, but they seemed to get on like a house on fire. Despite knowing how mixed up I was about my feelings towards Beth, it didn't stop Freddie from acting how he always did around a pretty girl; like a lothario chasing after his latest conquest.

'Where do you think you're going?' I asked from behind a book as Freddie strolled by.

He stopped in his tracks, his car keys mid-swing on his finger. Like a child caught sneaking out past curfew, he dropped the keys down into his pocket instead and affixed an innocent smile to his face. 'Nowhere.'

I closed the book with a slam. 'You dress like that to go nowhere?'

Freddie looked down at his pristine outfit, smiled, and raised his head to meet my gaze. 'Is there something wrong with taking pride in my appearance? Cousin, you should follow my example.'

'Like your example of flirting with Beth whenever you're in the same space?'

I'd expected him to deny it, to say that he hadn't considered Beth as anything but a potential friend. If family meant anything to him, he'd have been loyal enough to think of my feelings before pursuing her. Yet, as he thought about what I'd said, Freddie smiled.

'Oui, that is one example that you should follow.'

I bristled and jumped up from my chair. 'You know why I can't!'

'Non, I do not know that.'

'I'm a Darcy,' I reminded him, 'and that name comes with expectations!'

'True, cousin. But you forget, I am not a Darcy. And that means I am free to get to know the petite ange as much as I like. Maybe you should think about what is more important. Famille, ou amour?'

'Clearly, you've already made a decision on that score.'

'Oui,' he said with a bright smile. 'And I will not keep mon amour waiting. Au revoir, cousin.'

Every hour that they spent away from the house was another hour laden with concern.

Freddie wasn't a man to be trusted.

Did I love him as my cousin?

Of course.

Did I want him to hang around the one woman who'd ever caught my attention?

Absolutely not.

Beth might have thought of him as little more than a friend, but I knew Freddie. He would take full advantage the moment she let down her guard. A little flirtation here and some dinner there and she would be completely under his spell. All day I'd waited for their return, pacing the halls and watching the clock, deftly avoiding my aunt, Cosette, Wyatt and Beth's mother as they'd attempted to claim my time and attention. I couldn't spare a moment's thought for anything except what might be happening out under the bright lights of Paris, where even the wariest of women could be romanced into offering up everything that she had to someone like him.

Getting through to Freddie on the phone was almost impossible. Just about every attempt rang off. I lost count of the number of times I'd heard his insipid voicemail service before he finally decided to answer.

'Oui?' he spoke into the receiver at long last.

I tried to hide any relief I might have felt. I wasn't about to have him realise just how worried I'd been. How I'd considered the absolute worst-case scenarios while desperately attempting to reach him. The mental image of my cousin and Beth together in a hotel room was one I wouldn't scrub away easily.

'Fred', where the hell are you?'

I could hear the din through the phone as I paced back and forth. Men and women were shouting to one another merrily, cars rushed by, honking their horns and shouting passing insults only to be met with drunken jeers. They were still out in the city, that much I could ascertain for myself. Good. They hadn't shacked up somewhere private. At least not yet.

'We are enjoying ourselves,' he said. 'That is what people do on dates.'

I stopped dead in my tracks. 'Date? What date?'

'Mon dieu, you are a fool, William. Mon ange and I are... getting better acquainted.'

'Freddie, I swear if you so much as think about doing anything to her, I'll -'

'You will what, cousin? From what I have seen, you will do nothing.'

'I told you -'

'Understand this, cousin,' he said sternly, 'that if it is not me, it will be another man. Will you chase them all away for a woman you will never claim?'

'Where are you?' I demanded furiously.

'At the club,' he said candidly. 'Famille ou amour, cousin? Which one do you really want?'

The call disconnected and, within a single heartbeat, I knew exactly which one I wanted.

I just hoped that I wasn't too late.