Bonus Chapter - The Cliffs

Chantelle had taken herself off to bed shortly after Beth and her father said their farewells. Beth could hardly look me in the eye before her departure and I hoped she wasn't having second thoughts about our date in the morning.

Was it a date?

It was difficult to tell with her.

No, it was safer to think of it as close friends meeting very early in the morning on a chilly beach. If I expected more, then I would get my hopes up. I may even impose those feelings on her when she wasn't ready for them or, worse, didn't want them at all. I'd resolved not to make Beth feel forced or uncomfortable in my presence, and I stood by that. I fully intended for her to take the lead, to let me know exactly what she thought of me and to make peace with her intentions.

Almost the moment that the house was ours again, Chantelle stomped off up the stairs and slammed her bedroom door. Once upon a time, I might have cared. The only care that I had was for Charlie, who may be caught between family ties and our friendship.

'Well,' Mandy said to end the awkward silence, 'that was dramatic.'

'I'm so sorry,' Charlie said immediately. 'She was completely out of line.'

'I don't think Beth took offence,' Mandy replied.

'I meant to you,' Charlie said. 'I mean, to Beth too, obviously. But the things that she said about –'

'Chaz, you don't need to apologise for her,' I interrupted. 'Chantelle's capable of apologising for herself. Thanks for the damage control and keeping her in the house.'

'Do you think that I should go and talk to her?'

'Let her sleep on it,' Mum answered. 'She'll be grumpy for a few days, but she'll get over it.'

'Are you sure?' Charlie asked.

She scoffed. 'I was her age, once.'

'Yeah, in the stone age,' I muttered. Mum clipped me around the back of the head and I swore under my breath. 'What was that for?'

'Don't forget that I control your bank account, William John Darcy, and I will drain it dry if you don't behave.'

I hated it when she used my full name.

'Bed, the three of you,' she decided. 'It's been a long night and I, for one, would like to recover.' Mandy led the march up the stairs, followed shortly thereafter by Charlie. I was about to follow the pair when Mum grasped my arm to hold me back. With a smile, she said in a hushed whisper, 'For the record, I approve of her.'

'What makes you think I brought her here for your approval?' I asked equally as quietly.

'Oh, please.' Mum laughed. 'I can read you like a book, William. Besides, your father put me through the same awkward dinner when we started dating. The only difference is that your Beth managed to make it through the night without setting fire to one of your grandmother's best tablecloths.'

I blushed. 'She's not my Beth.'

'I'm sure that won't be the case for long.'