Chapter Forty Eight

The lunch date seemed inescapable now that William had alerted his sister to our whereabouts.

I gathered up my things and walked toward the café at a rapid pace, hoping that putting some space between us would give me time to calm my nerves. I could have turned heel and left, walked home, and locked myself in my room until he understood that I didn't want to spend time with him. Doing so would leave him alone in the company of my friends. I wasn't sure that I trusted them not to share embarrassing stories about me if I didn't keep them under control.

Lewis didn't hesitate to keep pace with me. He tried to put his arm around my waist. I knocked his hand away deftly. Even if he had a crush on me, it didn't mean that I was interested in him, or that he had any right to claim me just because another guy was hanging around. I was a person, not a toy for them to bicker over.

William strolled after us at his leisure. I was already up the ramp and getting a hug from Bill while they were still walking across the sand. Knowing that Cassidy would be inside helped me to steel my nerves. She didn't take crap from anyone and wouldn't hesitate to put paid to any misbehaviour from the others if I signalled her for help. I dumped my board in the rack by the door and hurried in, darting around the tables until I could wrap my arms around her and hug her gently.

'Hey, what's this for?' she asked.

'I just found out. Congratulations!'

Cassidy laughed, 'Oh, that! Thank you. I thought I would see you in here yesterday. Were you busy with your Dad?'

'Oh God... About that? There's a guy coming in that I know, and he doesn't like me much. Please don't give him any ammo or anything, okay? And save me if I need it. Please? Please?'

'I'm not going to spill any secrets. Don't worry. I've got your back.'

'Can you make sure Olly doesn't, either?'

The man in question poked his head around the door. His hands were damp and covered in suds. Oliver didn't work full time in the café like Bill and Cassidy, but he helped whenever he could. His best friend was Bill's grandson, and he saw the place as his second home.

'Behave,' Cassidy warned her husband.

'Oh, he isn't capable of that,' Bill said as he hobbled in. Cassidy helped him into his usual chair, and he patted her hand gently in gratitude. His granddaughter Abigail had been helping at the café, but she was off at university herself and was hardly ever home. Had I not been off at a boarding school, I'd have offered to fill some of her shifts. I had a mind to ask if Bill needed my support over the summer.

'I can behave if I want to, old man. I just don't want to, that's all.' Oliver winked at me playfully. The others came through the door noisily. Eric didn't hesitate to sweep Cassidy off her feet and kissed her cheek. Cassidy didn't mind all that much. Eric was a regular and relatively harmless. Oliver looked about ready to vault over the counter to rescue her. Given he was in his place of work, he settled for warning, 'Take your hands off my wife, man. Don't think I won't snap your board in two.'

'Killjoy.' Eric set Cassidy back down. 'Still not ready to divorce him? It's fine, I'll wait.'

I always forgot just how strange my friends were when we were apart for so long. At least I could rely on Eric to remind me the moment that I got home.

I grabbed William's wrist and tugged him further into the room. I pointed out each person. 'Oliver, Cassidy, and Bill. This is William,' I said. 'He went to school with me for a while.'

'Ohh, I should have known.' Eric clapped him hard on the back. 'Rich boy, huh?'

'Guilty as charged,' William said. 'It's nice to meet you all. My sister Amanda will be along shortly, and a friend of mine.'