Chapter Eighteen

I rarely put much effort into my clothes.

Not to say that I looked terrible all the time. I just wasn't as pampered or well preened as my peers. There didn't seem to be much point when my father left so much grime around our home. However, I felt that Gideon was worth a little more work and that meant that I was inclined to borrow a dress from Chrissy.

It wasn't white, because I didn't think I could force myself that far outside of my comfort zone. A dark blue, knee-length, casual evening dress was good enough for me. I was lucky that Jenny had some shoes that were a good enough match, although they pinched a little because they were so narrow. She had much daintier feet than I did.

'You could actually pass for a Lady,' Lisa told me as she finished fastening her earrings. 'You know, as long as you didn't open your mouth.'

'She could always pass as a Lady,' Jenny corrected.

'You would say that.'

'Don't make me come over there. I will happily ruin my nails just to strangle you,' I warned.

'See what I mean? If you want Gideon to like you, then you shouldn't talk. Like at all. Ever.'

'Who said I want Gideon to like me?' I asked nonchalantly.

She huffed, 'You don't have to say it. It's written all over your face.'

I was going to have to keep my face in better check if that was the case.

No one else could know I was interested in him, and that included Gideon himself. I didn't want to start rumours that could put his placement and assignment at risk. Although we were only a couple of years apart and that I was legally an adult, he was technically in a position of trust. If by some miracle he liked me the way I thought I liked him, then it could wait until the end of the school year. It wasn't far off. And then I would be a university student like him.

I could wait.

'Come on, or we'll miss the car,' Jenny said to put an end to Lisa's accusations.

Even if they were true, I still didn't like it. I steeled my nerves and willed my emotions to behave themselves. I wasn't usually thrown so out of sorts by a guy, and I didn't want this to be the first time. Not when it was such a huge taboo. I ignored the glances of the other girls in the halls as we passed them. Seeing me in a dress was as rare as seeing the northern lights floating over London. If they'd had some warning that I might wear it, they might have taken pictures to commemorate the occasion.

The dress seemed to take Wyatt by surprise, too.

The men were waiting for us at the entrance. The cars had arrived early. Jenny's mother had exquisite taste and knew that a limousine would appear gaudy. She'd sent three cars to collect us so we could be comfortable. Bentley was waiting by his, his shoulders squared and his back straight. He was a nice guy. I'd had a crush on him for a while when we'd first met and I'd been much, much younger. But he had been married for a few years now, and I got over it. Still, his eyes widened when they fell on me. He'd been driving Jenny and I around since we were twelve, and he'd never seen me in anything more formal than my school uniform.

'Evening, Ben,' I greeted before he could say anything. 'Are we going drag racing in these things?'

'Hardly, Miss Bennett. These are precision machines, as you well know. They are not to be soiled with such pursuits.'

'Too bad. You could probably do with a few dents in the Merc'. Give it some character.'

He put a hand on the hood of the car as though protecting it from my malicious intentions. 'There will be no dents. Shall we go? I should hate for us to be late.'

'We'll take the first car,' Jenny said. She pulled me towards Bentley.

It was an arrangement I was more than happy with. While sharing a car with Gideon would have been enjoyable, it was wiser for me to stick with her. She knew that, too, and that was why she pushed me through the open passenger door first. For one moment it appeared that Wyatt planned on joining us. Which was why, as soon as Bentley had sat down, I hissed, 'Step on it, man!'

We were in motion before he could put his hand on the door.

I sank back in my seat and let out a long sigh of relief.

'Miss Bennett?'

'Yeah, Ben?'

'Forgive my impertinence, but are you not looking forward to this evening?'

I blushed. 'I didn't want to ride with Wyatt. It's complicated.'

'Ex-boyfriend, is he?'

'No! God, no! Why does everyone ask that?' I exclaimed. 'He thinks he's my brother or something. I can't stand him. But someone,' I glared pointedly at Jenny, 'invited him along.'

'What was I supposed to do? I couldn't ask Gideon and not Wyatt. He'd overheard us talking about it. You can just avoid him while you're there. I'll see if we can keep him busy.'

'Not to worry, Miss Bennett. He'll be too preoccupied with the adults to concern himself with you.'

I wished that were true.

Wyatt was the clingy sort. If he had it in his head that he should be my shadow, then he wouldn't leave me for anything. I was glad then that I knew Jenny's house almost as well as my own. I could hide away in the gallery, or sneak down to the kitchens, or even to the gazebo in her enormous garden.

Anything to be free of his incessant conversation and unwanted opinions.