Chapter Seven

Suffice to say, Charlie wasn't satisfied with just one little walk around the school. And he wasn't the only one who appeared to be taken with her company. Chantelle hadn't let Jenny out of her sight. I was starting to feel like I was the one getting in the way. Still, whenever Jenny came back to tell me about the fun she'd been having, I smiled and pretended like I hadn't missed her company. If I told her, then she would feel guilty, and she might stop seeing Charlie all together.

I wasn't petty enough to put my loathing of Chantelle above my friend's happiness, no matter how sorely I was tempted to remind Jenny that she was spending time with the girl who tried to flush my expensive uniform down the toilet during our first year.

It was a rare evening spent in the dorm after dinner when her phone vibrated on the nightstand. She looked up from her book, confused at first as to who the offending device might belong to. Given that we usually only ever communicated with each other, I could well understand that she might not expect messages from other people.

I stopped strumming on my battered, hand-me-down acoustic guitar and asked, 'Aren't you going to check that?'

'Was that mine?'

'Mine's on silent,' I said, 'so it's gotta be.'

'Sorry,' she apologised and snatched up the device.

I'd never seen someone look so befuddled by a text before in my life. I reached over to steal the phone from her and read the message for myself.

Grls goin 2 watch stars by lake. Want 2 come?

'A fortune on education and she uses bingo speak in her texts,' I muttered.

'Uses what?'

'Nothing.' I handed the phone back. 'You should go. But don't stay out too late. It looks like it might rain.'

'You hate Chantelle,' she told me as if I needed reminding, 'so why are you telling me to spend so much time with her?'

'I know I do. That's probably why she invited you, not me. And you want to go, obviously.'

'Are you sure you're okay with me spending time with her? I mean, I know she's never been super nice to you, but maybe if you both got to know each other a little better –'

'I have absolutely no interest in getting to know Chantelle any better. But she's Charlie's sister, and it's better if you two can get along. If she hates you, then she won't let you talk to him easily.'

I'd hoped that Charlie had enough of an independent mind that he could pick and choose his own friends. Sadly, people often put family first, even if they shouldn't. It worried me that he might stop speaking to Jenny if Chantelle commanded it. He was about the only half-decent guy to transfer in. Even I found him to be good company when I was permitted time to talk to him. It would be a pity if we were deprived of him because of Chantelle's spiteful nature.

'I won't stay out long, I promise,' Jenny assured me.

I trusted her, but I couldn't guarantee that Chantelle would let her come back early. I returned to strumming idly on the guitar strings as she hurried to pull on her shoes and grabbed her coat.

Now, we had a rule about not being on the grounds at night, but it wasn't strictly enforced as far as the older students were concerned. The teachers were more inclined to impose the laws of the school on the first-year kids to prevent bad habits forming early, or on those who were too young to stay up late. We were practically adults at seventeen and eighteen. We didn't have lights out or anything either. They trusted us to manage our own spare time and sleeping patterns.

Big mistake.

They seriously underestimated how many nights we'd spend binge-watching box sets online until we fell asleep on the floor.

As I'd predicted, not much more than an hour after Jenny had left the rain lashed against the windows. It became heavier and louder until the force of it rattled the glass. I clambered off my bed and pulled back the curtains to take a better look.

'Is that snow?' Chrissy asked.

'Don't be thick,' Lisa replied. 'It's only the end of September.'

'It's hail,' I said. 'Must be a freak shower. Remember the one we got in April? And people still think global warming is bollocks.'

'Um,' Meg rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand, 'where's Jenny?'

'She went out. She'll be back soon,' I reassured her.

Still, I couldn't help being worried.

And I was right to.