Chapter 4: The beginning of a family and a sour past

"Huff, huff"

"Your doing good Lettie! Can u believe it? My baby already knows how to crawl after 1 years old!"

"Yes! Our lady is of course a genius!" My nanny violently nodding her head. Seeing my mom and nanny proud and happy. I feel like all my exercise every night became worthy.

Yes, I did exercise every night when no one was looking. I needed to strengthen this baby muscles of mine.

"Oong owaaa" I said while huffing. I was already tired after 10 minutes but I guess this is a great feat for a baby.

"Oh my, we need to quickly wipe your sweats, you might get sick! We can't have that, can we? Nanny get some fresh towels."

"Yes Duchess" my Nanny gave courtesy and walked out the room. My mom while waiting for my nanny smiled at me warmly

"I'm very proud of you my daughter, Always remember that mommy loves you, okay?"

"......" I felt a pang in my heart....

I've always wondered. What if I wasn't the one who possessed this body? Would this lady have a normal baby? A baby who's not weird like me.

Even though being loved should've been like a happy dream, I, instead felt like someone pricking my heart. Yeah... This wasn't me originally.

A strange alienation between 'me' and this body, happened. I became suddenly conscious... That the "me", containing my memories and soul, suddenly shook. A pain overtook my body.

"Unng..a..a WAAHH!!"

As if my body couldn't handle it well, I screamed.

"Lettie?!!?"

My mother had a pale face. That was the last thing I saw before I fainted.

*********************************************

"Yes, my Duke. I think that we also need to send new supplies for the upcoming winter" said the guy with lime hair and summer leaf green like eyes.

"Yes do that, Trever"

Indeed, Trever Callisto is my right hand and he is the one who help me with the Duchy's affairs.

"Right! The maids told me that the young lady started crawling and is practicing in her room, right now" Trever said as if remembering something just now.

"What?!" I quickly got up from my seat and headed towards the door.

"Wait, Duke, We still have a lot of work to do" Trever said realising he dug his own grave.

"That's not more important!" I hurried and got out of my study. I can hear Trever saying something but I payed it no mind.

My daughter started crawling and I wasn't even there. What kind of father am I?

I need to be on her side and give her a happy childhood where she knows that she is loved by her parents unlike the childhood that I had.

On my way there, I saw Lettie's Nanny.

The Nanny bows "Greetings, my Lord".

"You may rise. Why are you here? Where's Lettie?"

"Oh, the young miss is with the madam, I was on my way there to hand them the towel for the young miss."

I looked at the towel in the Nanny's hand and said, "I can give it to them"

I stretched out my hands

"Yes? Oh yes!" The Nanny said with my a happy smile.

After I got the towel and the Nanny leaving, I placed my hand in the doorknob, wearing a smile on my face.

But I suddenly stiffened.

A baby's cry was soon heard. I quickly opened the door and saw my wife hurriedly carrying out baby, looking pale, and looked like she didn't know what to do.

"L-lettie?....r-right! Doctor! Get the doc- Hun!! Our Lettie!"

Tears streamed down her beautiful face, I quickly called the maid's to get the doctor as soon as possible. I hurriedly got to the my wife sides and saw Lettie groan in pain.

I took my mana and quickly tried to feel the overall situation in her body but strangely, the body didn't accept the mana and strongly rejected it.

"W-what?"

*********************************************

I had a dream. Before I died. My mood immediately got sour.

'That damn client'

As I said before I was an assassin and as I was receiving an request from a client, I suddenly have this uncomfortable feeling. Because of my years being a soldier and an assassin, I have developed an incredible sixth sense.

When receiving a request from a client, it's up to the client wether they'd reveal themselves or not.

But whatever their decision is I always try to find out who my customer is. It's not because I don't trust. I didn't even trust them in the start.

It was just about being cautious and putting myself at an advantage over the client.

Getting information about them is fairly easy.  Whoever or wherever they are.

But this guy was super fishy.

Soon I found out that they laid out a trap to kill me.

Ha! Morons!

And then I killed them all. Sadly one of them slipped out and was able to kill me.

Now that I think about it, shouldn't I thank them instead.

If they didn't kill me, I wouldn't have any plans to be killed and there's a chance that I won't end up here.

Huh? Here? What does that mean again-...
End up where?

===

"Sir, physically, there's nothing wrong with her but the mana particles in her body is acting abnormal."

The doctor said as he finished checking up and making assessment of the little child's body.

"Abnormal?" The Duke frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"Usually, a person's body contain very little mana particles scattered in their whole body, in the little lady's case, her particles should be very few and tiny since she's still a baby but.... In this case, her mana particles are not scattered, but rather, are trying to gather in one place and it's heading to her heart."

The room was enveloped in silence.

Mana particles, are like small droplets scattered inside your body. These particles increase in numbers and size as you grow up, then they'll gather which will make a mana pool, indicating an awakening.

But....

"Are you saying that my 1 year old daughter is awakening?! Are you hearing what your saying doctor!?"

As if to show her panic, the duchess screamed.

The doctor then shook his head.

"No, well, the mana particles are gathering, but the strange thing is, they're not trying to make a mana pool, but rather, they're surrounding her heart "

"Surrounding her heart?"

"I don't exactly know what's happening but it'd be better for a mage to look into your daughter, but besides that, right now, she's stable. The sudden movement of the mana particles in her body caused her so much pain so she needs to rest for now."

The doctor then took his leave while reviewing the papers examination of Lettie.