Chapter 5

Meredith woke up the next morning to a searing pain in her chest. Her chest was heavy, and she felt like she couldn't breath.

At one point, she could hear her alarms going off, but no one was hearing them. That is except for the one person she didn't want to hear.

"Mer? Mer what is it?" Derek asked softly as he rushed over. He used his stethoscope he rarely used and felt her chest. "Hurts." Meredith whimpered. "Okay. We'll get you more pain meds like we did yesterday. Just hang on a second." Derek soothed.

Meredith instinctively latched on to a piece of his shirt and wrapped it into her hand. Derek was taken aback at first, but quickly shook that off and gently held her head to his chest. "Just a second Mer." He murmured.

"What's going on?" Hahn asked she entered the room with Bailey. "She's in a lot of pain." Derek explained as he heard Meredith whimper. "That's expected. Nurse, can we push more morphine please?" Hahn asked.

Derek gently tried to pry Merediths fingers away to give more space to the nurse. "Don't go." Meredith begged In a strained voice. Derek looked at Bailey and Erica with a confused expression. "Please."

"Okay Meredith. I won't go anywhere." Derek promised. "Lay." Meredith requested quietly. "Mer-"

"Derek." Meredith said, voice full of pain. Derek looked at Bailey and Erica, who both gave nods. Derek was confused by her sudden change in mood. Yesterday she wanted him away, and now she wanted him to hold her.

"Okay." He said softly as he put the rail down and carefully climbed into bed. "I'm sorry...for yelling." Meredith cried, wheezing slightly. "It's okay. I get it." Derek replied as he pulled an oxygen mask over her face. "No." Meredith tried as she attempted to weakly pull at the oxygen mask off.

"Grey, keep it on." Bailey warned. "I wanna go home." Meredith said, tears streaming down her face. "Shhh. I got you." Derek murmured. Meredith buried her head into his chest and cried while Derek rubbed her back softly.

"Meredith, you have to calm down. The meds will kick in soon." Erica said. "She's overwhelmed. Can we have some space?" Derek asked quietly as Meredith hid in his chest. The two women nodded and left the room.

Meredith gasped for breath as she sobbed. "There you go. It's just us now. You're okay." Derek whispered. "Derek." She moaned. "Close your eyes. I won't leave. I promise."

"Promise?" She asked, her voice shaky. "I promise." He replied. He felt her nod against his chest and her body completely relax.

••••

Meanwhile, Cristina and Izzie were both sharing a room. George and Alex were sitting in there too. "How's Meredith?" Izzie asked as Bailey entered the room. "She's...in a lot of pain. Shepherd is with her." Bailey replied warily.

"Why is McDouchebag in there?" Cristina asked.

"Yang, stop it. Listen, Meredith cannot have any stress. Her body is exhausted, and she's exhausted and in severe pain. She needs him, and hes made a lot of mistakes, but she needs him. Shepherd is able to calm her down and comfort her, and that's what she needs right now." Bailey said sharply.

"Didn't she kick him out yesterday?" Alex asked. Bailey sighed. "Yes. Pain messes with your mind. It makes you want that comfort and safety. If Shepherd makes her feel safe, then we have to respect that. If you don't believe me I'll show you a picture, shepherds holding her right now."

"If he hurts her again I'll kick his ass." Cristina warned. "I know. I will too." Bailey replied with a small smile. "Anyways, how are you two feeling?" She asked. "Fine." Cristina replied. "Good." Izzie said.

"Stevens, you're not leaving for a week. Cristina, you can go home in a few days." She said. The two girls nodded. "And you two will take them home?" Bailey guessed, turning her attention to George and Alex. "We will." They confirmed. "Good."

"Can we see Meredith?" George asked. "Not now. She's sleeping, and it's been a really rough morning. But maybe later." Bailey replied. "Okay."

•••

"Who the hell did this?" Derek asked quietly to Richard and Bailey, who were both in the room. "We don't know Derek. I have security footage to watch soon." Richard replied.

"I want to see." Derek demanded. "Shepherd-"

"No. I have to see. Please." He begged. "Okay." Richard agreed with a sigh. "Who could do this? To 3 innocent women, surgeons no less." Derek asked out loud.

"We're gonna find out Derek." Bailey said as she looked at her broken former intern. "She's so small. He didn't have to hurt her this bad. She couldn't fight him off." Derek whispered, tears coming to her eyes. "I know." Richard replied.

A few hours later, Meredith came around. She woke up in the comfort of dereks arms and smiled when she realized her hadn't leaved. "Hey." He whispered. "Hi." She replied. "How you feeling?"

"Better." Meredith answered. "That's good."

"Do you want me to leave?" Derek asked hesitantly. He wasn't sure if earlier was driven by her pain or not.

"Please don't leave." Meredith said quietly. "Okay." Derek replied.

"I forgive you." Meredith whispered. "You do?" He asked in surprise. "I know...I have trust...issues...and I know....I'm difficult. But...I love you." She said, siting up to cough and wincing at the action.

"Oh, Mer. I love you too." He replied with a smile, helping her lay back down. "Did you...end things?" Meredith asked nervously. "I did. A few days ago. I'm sorry that ever happened Mer." Derek apologized.

"It's okay." Meredith mumbled sleepily. "Sleep, Mer. We have the rest of our lives to talk."

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them. Hope your all doing well!