Fragment 29

29
Emotion and Mind

True enough, Octavian belongs to the list of interns who applied for our firm. As much as I didn't want it, I can't just remove him from the list. It's not like I could just have anyone removed with an invalid reason, or the lack thereof.

Sa kanilang unang araw, nagkaroon ako ng pagkakataon na batiin sila at salubungin dahil ito ay saktong na sa araw ng Sabado – the only day available for me to visit the firm.

It's a little bit weird standing in front of them to be honest. They are like my 5th year seniors at SLU, who are ahead of 2 years. I did see some familiar faces pero si Octavian lang talaga ang kakilala ko sa kanilang lahat. The rest – I could see them passing by the very same hallways I am walking at every day.

"On behalf of Engr. Alejandro Dela Merced, I welcome you today on your first day," I said as I stand in front of at most 20 people. "We're happy to accommodate everyone. I hope for your productivity and cooperation. Our managers and instructors are here to help you with anything, so please, do not be scared to ask if you have something to clarify."

Hindi lahat ng nag-apply ay nakuha o nabigyan ng oportunidad. Of course, they were filtered out, chosen among the bests. It's a system incorporated by Papa when he was anointed as the overall CEO and President of the corporation because the idea of letting in too much of a crowd into the company doesn't settle well with him.

"May I know who's the leader of the group?" I probed, scanning each of them.

"I am the acting leader," one of them spoke from the back and I almost hitched my breathing dahil agad kong nakilala kung kaninong boses ito.

Nakataas ang kanang kamay ni Octavian at ngayo'y nakatingin nang deretso sa aking direksyon. He instantly walked upfront, and his strong masculine perfume penetrated my nose even in a distance.

He is indeed sporting indigo slacks that fitted his long limbs and black Balenciaga classic shoes. Nakasuot siya ng putting dress shirt sa loob at sa panlabas ay isang indigo coat. He isn't wearing a tie and the first two buttons of his shirt are opened.

His usual messy black hair is neatly cut in a two-block hairstyle, with a few strands loosely hanging on his left forehead.

"Name?" I said in a stoic face. Kita ko naman na tumaas ang gilid ng kaniyang labi.

Nakarinig din ako ng bulungan mula sa grupo dahil sa hindi inaasahang pagtatanong ko sa kaniyang pangalan. Of course, a lot of them probably knew we dated and that we belong to the same circle of friends.

"Octavian Desmond J. Santillan, Ms. Dela Merced."

"Please do collaborate as a group and submit all your data sheets to Engr. Carvajal – he's the company's Engineering Manager. You'll be meeting with our CAD Operator in the afternoon. Understood?"

"Crystal clear, Ms. Dela Merced."

That was my last interaction with the group before I started scanning deals with our project manager during that day.

The following week went on as usual. School and home – that's the only path I am following and on Saturdays I would go to the firm. Hindi ko na rin nakita nang madalas si Octavian nang halos dalawang linggo. Araw-araw na silang na sa internship companies nila, from Monday to Saturday.

Kahit na sa DLMRCD Crux ako tuwing Sabado, hindi ko na siya nahagilap simula noong unang araw ng training nila.

The hideout is unusually empty too for days. Tanging kami na lang ni Caitlyn ang namamalagi roon. On some days, we have our review at the place, and sometimes we sleep there during our breaks.