Fragment 39

39
Welcome

As I walk down the brick alley that leads to SLU's gymnasium, my heart's echoing of excitement and relief altogether. Dumating din ang araw na ito – something I've been really eyeing since the beginning. Our graduation's happening today and I couldn't have it any other way. The sun's up in Baguio and it's actually sunnier compared to the past few days.

Nilingon ko ang mga kasamang naglalakad at napangiti nang makitang pati sila ay excited din. Nanay Flores is clinging into my arm and she looks younger today with that pearl necklace she's wearing.

"Sasamahan ko po kayo papunta sa upuan niyo bago ako pumunta sa linya namin," I said, looking at her. I have to at least walk her to their reserved seats because the crowd is not getting lesser any minute. She's old already and she might pain her legs if she gets tangled along the busy crowd.

"Huwag ka nang mag-alala sa akin, Anak," saad niya sa magaan na boses, "Mauna ka na lang doon at baka mahuli ka pa."

Shaking my head in disagreement, I frowned at her. "Maaga pa po at medyo malayo pa ang lalakarin mo, Nanay."

Wala na rin nagawa si Nanay Flores nang maihatid ko na siya sa upuan. Pinanood ko siyang umupo at siniguradong ayos lang siya. Beside her is another vacant seat that is reserved under my name. Saglit nagtagal ang tingin ko dito at kung hindi hinawakan ni Nanay Flores ang aking kamay ay hindi niya pa makukuha ang aking atensyon.

"Dadating si Alejandro, Anak," she smiled brightly. "Dadating siya at hindi niya hahayaang hindi siya makadalo ngayon."

That seemed to relieve me and I believe her as well. I knew how busy Papa is right now and it's just so unfortunate that the trials are scheduled the same date as my graduation day. I will understand if he cannot come...but half of me is expecting that he'd be here today. Gusto kong umasa na makakapunta si Papa. I want him to be here. I want him to see the fruits of everything I've done.

Huminga ako nang malalim bago tuluyang magpunta kung na saan ang linya ng mga graduating students. My emerald off-shoulder dress is just the right fit for our graduation toga. I've decided to let my hair down today and up bring my curls. The make-up artist this morning also agreed with the look I wanted. Gusto ko lang ng simple ang itsura ko ngayon and I didn't really want wearing make-up in the first place.

Nang makalapit sa linyahan ng batch namin, Caitlyn waved at me and met me halfway. She looks pretty with her beige silk dress. She was really right with the colors we picked last week for our dresses. Hindi rin kami nagtagal sa pagpili ng isusuot because she has it in mind already way before graduation came.

"You're so pretty!" she exclaimed and kissed me on the cheeks. I grinned at her and saw Niko at her back. He's holding a camera and I bet Caitlyn has made him as today's photographer.

"You hired someone to take the pictures," I smirked.

Niko just laughed it off and proceeded on to take pictures God only knows how many. Nang okay na si Caitlyn sa mga kuha, pinalayo na rin niya si Niko sa amin dahil malapit nang magsimula ang program. Niko bid his goodbye and went to his seat.

"Where's Tita and Tito?" I asked her because I couldn't seem to spot them.

She shrugged and pointed at the seats. "Later mo na sila kausapin. Pinaupo ko na sila because Mom's complaining of her foot and Dad's too concerned!" himutok niya. "How about Tito Alejandro?"

My heart was a little bit heavy when she asked that. Ngumiti ako sa kaniya para ipakitang ayos lang. The truth is, I don't know what to think and feel right now. Will he come?