chapter five

Stella and Janie are sitting at the table while August makes breakfast and Cordell walks out.

"Morning, kiddos." Cordell greets before seeing August cooking. "Whoa. That looks uh, uh, ambitious. Is this a..." he picks the tool up. "A blowtorch?"

"Relax, I'm supervising." Stella says.

"Yeah, she can do so much with her nose buried in her phone." Janie says sarcastically and Stella gives her a fake smile.

"That is a hot skillet." August tells his dad who just tried to grab the skillet.

"Ah, mm-hmm, ah. Yeah, it is." Cordell agrees.

"And even hotter pancakes. I put some of Mawline's spicy jam in there." August states as Cordell gets a beer can to hold to help with the burn.

"Are they still camping?" Stella asks.

"Um, my best guess is they've probably checked into the Driskill Hotel by now. Uh, Stella, by the way, they wanted me to tell you good luck. And, sweetie? Your Laredo game, I'm--"

"I'm gonna try my best to make it to the game." Stella imitates him.

"Yes." Cordell nods.

"Clean your room. Hey, that skirt's too short." She continues.

"Ugh, dad." Cordell imitates Stella.

"Hey, if you can't make it to the game, uh, I can just show it to you when we get back from Laredo. I'm filming it with Ruby." August says.

"Ruby? This the same Ruby that told you to crash my undercover operation?" Cordell asks.

"She didn't tell me to." August states.

"Well, maybe not exactly, but she did say to give him an earful which happened to be when daddy dearest wasn't daddy dearest." Janie says.

"Which means she didn't tell me to." August says. "So, anyways, we are supposed to be filming the dance next Friday. But I'm, uh, I'm thinking about asking her to go."

"Yeah?" Cordell asks and August nods. Cordell and Stella look at each other.

"You don't think she'll say yes?" August asks.

"I think that is a tricky question." Stella says. "Can we talk about something simpler? Like gun control? Or dad's DPS hearing?" Cordell chuckles while Janie lightly kicks her sister in the leg.

"Wow. Very funny. You're out of luck on that one. It was postponed. Uh, which I do have to check on. Uh, Augie... be careful." He motions to the stove and blowtorch.

"All right." August says.

"Stella, sweetie, you'll be great." Cordell kisses his oldest on the head. "And, uh, Janie..."

"Bye?" She gives him an option to say.

"Yeah, bye." He kisses her on the head. "Oh, and don't let your brother accidentally kill himself."

"Yes, sir." She mockingly salutes.

"I'll see y'all soon." Cordell leaves.