chapter ten

"Hey, uh, Uncle Hoyt never said anything about a secret hideout, right?" August asks as the three siblings, Cordell, and Geri sit at a picnic table.

"No, I think it was more about a place, you know, a dream." Geri says.

"Hey, uh, didn't you get the sleigh around here?" August asks. "Yeah, it-it was that Christmas where the reindeer came and..."

"Oh, my God." Geri laughs. "Pooped everywhere."

"Yeah, I-I do remember that." Cordell says, everybody laughing. "Hoyt scooped up shovelfuls of horse manure from the stables and scattered it all over the place. "Rudolph pooped on our porch!""

"Oh, my God, you two were so juvenile together." Stella says.

"It wasn't just them. Your mom was way into it." Geri says. "Oh, and then on Christmas morning."

"Uncle Hoyt was on the front lawn in a real sleigh dressed as Santa." Janie recalls.

"Yeah, it, uh, it took me seven years to realize that not all Santas wear assless chaps." August says. "That was the, uh, first Santa I remember."

"Yeah, me too." Janie mumbles.

"Yeah." Cordell mumbles.

+++

"Hey, dad, did you know that Uncle Hoyt had 4 horses and a llama?" August asks as him, Stella, and Janie are with the four said animals. Cordell, Geri, and Tisch walk up.

"Oh, my God, he is so cute it hurts." Stella gushes.

"Please tell me that those belong to the neighbors, correct?" Cordell asks.

"Mr. Rawlins sweet-talked the seller into throwing in that family of outcasts." Tisch says. "The mare, she suckled that odd-duck stray, raised it as her own."

"Well, sounds like Hoyt's kind of family." Geri says.

"Well, they're yours now." Tisch states. "But you got to get them off the property by tonight." She says before her phone starts ringing. "I'm s-- I gotta take this. And, hey, if you're looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom for yourself and the kids..."

"Yeah, no, we're not." Geri objects as Tisch walks away. "Uh, where am I gonna board four horses and a llama?"

"Uh..." Cordell can't think of anything.

"Dad, come on, these are Uncle Hoyt's." August says.

"You know he would want us to take care of 'em." Janie says.

"His last dream. That is what you said. So... they're a part of that dream." Stella argues.

"Stel..." Cordell starts.

"I mean..." Geri chuckles. " Maybe we need a distraction."

"Like what? You want to-- want to take 'em on a cattle drive or something?" Cordell asks.