chapter seventeen

Janie, Peter, August, Faye, Stella, Todd, and Colton are out eating and August, Colton, and Peter return with more of the food.

"All right. What are the plans later?" August asks.

"Yeah, anyone hear about any parties?" Colton asks.

"Oh, I heard Robin's throwing one." Stella says.

"Straightjackets is playing the Majestic." Faye says.

"Oh, I didn't even know they were touring." Colton says, laughing a little in excitement.

"And..." Faye gets on her phone, looking it up. "They're sold out." She says.

"Well, uh, I can probably get us tickets." Todd says.

"What are you? Are you, like, the opening act or something?" Colton asks.

"Need you to write more songs first." Todd says jokingly. "But, no, my uncle, he's a silent investor. He can get us in. What do you think?"

"Uh, seventh wheel? Yeah, no, I'll-I'll pass." Colton says.

"Colton, come on." Stella objects. "Straightjackets is one of your favorite bands."

"Yeah, you know me so well." Colton says. "All right, fine. Now, where do you guys want to meet?"

+++

They're outside the venue and waiting for Todd to show up.

"Dude, I can't believe Todd left us high and dry." Colton says. "Now we're never getting in." He says as Stella rushes over.

"Todd's not answering. I'm worried." She says.

"No, don't be. He probably just wanted the credit for getting us tickets and had no way to actually deliver." Colton says.

"No, that's not Todd. He wouldn't just--"

"Stella, yes, he would." Colton cuts her off.

"How would you know?" Janie quietly asks.

"Same way he hogs credit for our band." Colton says. "You know that song at The Side Step?" He asks making the twins share a look. "No, he-he didn't... okay, he-he didn't even get the lyrics when he read 'em."

"Hey, yo, I-I-I, uh, I think I just saw the Straightjackets' keyboard player over there. Want to go check it out?" August asks.

"Yes! Yes. Good idea." Janie encourages, getting August's plan and shoving Colton in that direction.

"Yeah. Yeah, yeah." Colton nods. "Okay, chill." He tells Janie, walking ahead of her. They walk a bit away and August turns back.

"I didn't actually see Kevin VanSchlinker. I just, um... I feel like you were gonna tell my sister that that song was about her." August says.

"Yeah." Janie nods.

"Oh, no, I-I wasn't--"

"She's still not over Trevor Strand, all right? Todd's the first guy after him. And-And I like Todd, it's just... he's kind of a fling." August says.