chapter twelve

The kids are in the kitchen with their grandparents, eating breakfast when Cordell and Liam come in.

"Hey. Where's Trey?" Abilene asks.

"He had to take off." Cordell says.

"He had to go. He had to go home." Liam says.

"Yeah." Cordell nods.

"You know, he needs to eat more. I hope he knows that he's more than welcome to stay for breakfast." Abilene says.

"He knows." Cordell says. "Mama, we-we've told him. You've told him."

"He starts early at Sacred Heart." Stella says.

"A guidance counselor starts this early?" Abilene asks.

"Oh, he... he's also a parking lot monitor." August says.

"That man's trying to fill a void." Bonham says.

"You know, Cordi? You really should ask James." Abilene says.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, I-I know. I'm gonna... I'm gonna talk to James later, mama." Cordell tells her.

"You know, someone bought the Andersons' property." Liam says.

"Andersons have been there forever." August says. "Who was there before them?"

"Uh, Davidsons." Cordell answers.

"Wait. Didn't you break off your engagement to Marv Davidson after you met grandpa?" Stella asks.

"Yes, I did, and it was the best decision I ever made." Abilene says.

"I really hope the new neighbors are cool, you know? Maybe they, like, kids or something." August says.

"You mean a hot daughter you can try and date since Ruby's gone." Stella says, everybody but August laughing.

"Shut up. Like you're gonna be single forever." August says.

"Oh, cause your love life is just perfection." Stella counters.

"Okay, it's-it's early." Cordell says.

"Oh! Uncle Liam, are you going to New York this month to see Bret?" Stella asks.

"Maybe. I don't know, I got to figure that out." Liam says. "Anyway, I got to go to work. It's a big day today, too. You know, they might have another election or an interim D.A."

"Surely, they're not gonna make you go through another election." Abilene says.

"Well, I mean, I doubt votes would make the same decision if they knew what they know now." Cordell says.

"Yeah. All right." Liam says.

"Yep. See ya." Cordell says and the kids get up. "Whoa. What, y'all-y'all heading out already?"

"Yeah. Trying not to start out senior year with as many absents as last year." Stella says.

"Okay." Cordell says. Janie kisses him on the cheek and he goes in for a hug.