chapter six

The kids are setting the table while Cordell finishes up making pancakes.

"All right... breakfast is served!" The father announces. "Our... piece de resistance." Cordell says making the kids chuckle as he brings the pancakes over to the table. "Didn't know I spoke French, did you?"

"That was good, dad." Stella compliments.

+++

Janie is in the backseat with Flynn while his mom drives him to the dance. Being 14, they unfortunately can't drive yet, so his mom offered to drive them.

"This storm's looking like it's gonna be pretty bad." Flynn's mom, Julia, comments. Janie sends her text to her dad, assuring they're okay and will be at the school soon.

"Hopefully it doesn't completely ruin the dance." Flynn says.

"I'm sure it'll be fine." Julia assures.

However, it started heavily storming while they were still driving. Julia was barely able to see where she was going while the two teenagers conversed with each other in the backseat, making jokes and laughing which brought joy to Julia's heart, hearing her son be happy.

A tree branch comes flying and crashes through the windshield making Julia and Janie scream as Flynn flinches in shock. The car hydroplanes making them serve and roll off the road, landing on the side in the grass.

Janie groans, waking up. She looks around, finding Flynn and his mom knocked out. Janie is held up by her seatbelt, it being the only thing keeping from falling. She checks herself for any injuries, putting her hand to the side of her head, pulling it away to find a little bit of blood. She groans, knowing she's going to have a headache the rest of the night, if not the next few days.

"Flynn? Mrs. Hunter?" Janie groggily calls, but doesn't get a response. Janie searches for her purse which contains her phone, spotting it on the ground by Flynn's head.

"Damn it." She curses under her breath. She huffs, thinking of how to get out of this and call her dad or 911 for help. Janie holds onto the handle on the ceiling with one hand and unbuckles herself with the other one. She keeps her face firmly planted to avoid crashing. Janie holds the handle with both hands and lifts her feet so she dangles above Flynn.

"Oh, please don't step on him, please don't step on him." Janie mutters as she angles herself so she falls just to the right of Flynn. Her heels crack the glass which makes her fall on her butt, causing a little cry of pain to escape.

"Okay, deal with injuries later." Janie mutters. She opens her purse and takes her phone out. She unlocks it, only to find no service.

"Oh, come on. I can't get a miracle and have service." Janie complains. "Crap." She whispers before standing up. She grabs a blanket and throws it onto the broken window up above. She grabs another one, throwing it up as well, just for good measure.

Janie has to jump a few times, but eventually grabs ahold of the handle which she's thankful hasn't broke yet. She pulls herself up and carefully lifts herself out of the window. She avoids her abdomen touching the window, but as she lifts her leg to rest her knee on the outside of the car, she feels a cut making her cry in pain.