chapter nine

Abilene, Janie, Hoyt, and August are inside when they hear a gunshot from out front. They run outside, Abilene immediately spotting her son on the ground.

"Liam!" She screams.

"Everybody just stay where you are." Clint orders.

"Mama! Don't-don't." Cordell tells her

"No one try to be a hero now." Clint says.

Abilene falls to her knees, her eyes not tearing away from Liam's body.

Hoyt and the twins stand a little bit behind her, still on the sidewalk leading up to the house. Janie has a tight grip on August's sleeve, her other hand covering her mouth as silent tears start to run down her face at the sight of her uncle.

"Just do exactly what I tell you." Clint orders. "We'll get through this. Hey." He nods to Cordell. "Drop the holster. Trevor?" He calls to his son. Cordell begins to take his holster off. "Don't do anything stupid now. You got a family to worry about."

Trevor walks over to him and tries to take the belt from him. Cordell tightly holds onto it until finally letting Trevor take it.

"All right. Let's all go inside and have a little chat." Clint says.

"Clint... let me take my brother." Cordell says.

"Oh, your brother, huh?" Clint asks.

"Yeah." Cordell nods.

"The attorney who helped put us away? Well, don't matter. He's dead now." Clint says. Those words get Abilene to finally start sobbing. "Let me be clear. No one else needs to get hurt if you do exactly what I say. Okay?" Cordell nods. "Let's go."

Clint and his other guys start to lead Stella and Cordell up to the house. Hoyt puts Stella in front of him and she keeps a hand on both of her siblings' arms.

"You can't leave him here like this." Abilene tells Clint who walks up to her.

"Mrs. Walker. Your son left me for dead. He got my wife killed. So any notions you might have about right and wrong, lose 'em." Clint tells her. He holds his hand out to help her up, but she gets up on her own. "Let's go."

Clint points his gun at her and she walks inside. Stella leads the twins inside, walking behind them.

~ ~ ~

"All right." Clint says as Hoyt, Stella, and Janie sit down. Cordell, August, and Abilene are on the other side of the table. Janie still has tears silently running down her face as she's able to picture nothing but her uncle's unmoving body.

"No phones, no guns, no weapons, no sudden moves." Clint tells them. "Search the house. They got guns." He tells his men and a couple go off to search. "Trevor. Said you've been working on your rope skills. How about you show me?" He says, holding rope out to his son.

Trevor takes the rope.

"All right, you all be smart, listen up." Clint orders. "And this will all be over soon enough." He says as Trevor begins to tie Cordell's hands together behind the chair.