3

Three years since I wrote on those papers. Loving meant believing. I believe. But tell me where is that taking me? It felt like a bad dream that keeps waking me.

Today, June 25th 1953, was my 25th birthday. 5 years ago I met Mrs. Barns outside of her bar. I was sleeping on the floor taking cover from the rain. It was dangerous to sleep outside especially if you were a woman. She kindly offered me a place to stay and I forever am grateful. She once told me that she saw something in me that she couldn't find in her son. She hasn't told me what it was yet.

My birthday matched with George, one of Mrs. Brans' sons' engagement. So she announced free drinks for everyone. She considered me the daughter she's never had. So I will be able to meet the soon to be bride.

I served drink after drink. People were coming one after one demanding for their free drinks. Everyone looked happy even though I know deep down most of them had bigger problems.

Mrs. Barns was sitting on a chair behind the bar watching me do my job and humming along with the song that was playing.

"They're here..."

My eyes searched around for George, he was a handsome man. But I saw right through that fake smile of his. Greed, hate and a load of ego. He didn't like me one bit but he couldn't say anything. He wouldn't hear the end of it from his mother. I smirked at the thought of him getting scolded like a child. Soon my smirk fell...

Our eyes locked for the first time in years. Her green eyes still looked as beautiful as ever. They still brought me to my knees. Her long red hair shined under the low lighting. With every step she took closer my breath caught deeper in my throat.

"...-kai"

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked to my side to see Mrs. Barns watching me curiously. I cleared my throat and smiled at George. I couldn't look at her just yet.

"Nice to see you again George"

I turned my back to get a bottle to serve George a drink. My thoughts are everywhere. My vision is blurred. She was right here, behind me.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend, George?"

Her voice was so tender and sweet and now I realized how much I missed it. We didn't need introduction, I knew her more than I knew myself.

"She's not my friend"

"George..." Mrs. Barns warned. He sighed and nodded.

"Malakai, this is my fiancé...Jade"

Her pale hand was extended for me to shake, so small and so soft. I grabbed and gently shook it. I felt my body tense at the feel of her skin. All the memories we had together were surfacing again.

"Nice to meet you, Malakai"

I pursed my lips together and looked at our hands. I still haven't looked at her. I grabbed the towel on my shoulder and smiled gently at Mrs. Barns.

"My shift is over ma'am"

"You're not joining us?"

"I feel a little tired and I would love to rest"

She patted my shoulder and took the towel from my shaky hands. I eyed Jade to see her eyes fixed on me. I couldn't read her face expressions. But they looked, down?

I shook my head and made my way to my room. I couldn't believe she was here. My Jade was downstairs having fun with her...Husband.

I forgot how to breathe.

I forgot how to move.

I forgot how to function.

I felt my heart swell and my chest tighten. I have no clue if it's bad or good. I have never wanted someone. I have never longed for someone's touch. But I needed her. I desired her. I...missed her.

I rubbed my hands over my face and started at my reflection. I was tired of everything. I didn't care what they thought. But why am I still lost? I knew exactly what I wanted. It was so close yet so far.