6

I was the new bar owner. George can't get it through his head and he keeps bothering me about how he is the son and the rightful owner after his mother. I had papers that proved him wrong but I don't want to involve the authorities for the sake of Mrs. Barns' reputation. This was a small town and rumors spread fast.

I was cleaning a glass when one of the friends I made, Chris, arrived. He was the sheriff's son, a very tall and handsome blonde young gay man in his late twenties. We became friends when his mother died he was the last one left in the bar. It was closing time but he didn't want to go home. So I offered him a place to sleep. Now he's a client and a very good friend.

"Hey Kai"

"Chris"

"The usual please" I nodded and opened a beer.

"I'm sorry for your loss"

I just smiled sadly at him and refilled another customer's glass. It's been gloomy in the bar since the news of Mrs. Barns' death. Everyone felt it. She was a nice bubbly woman and she will be missed.

Every guy in the bar knew me and they were a little bit nicer as the time went by, all thanks to Mrs. Barns.

Jade walked behind the bar with more clean cups. I looked her up and down with a smile and when she turned to leave I watched her body sway from side to side.

I heard Chris chuckle and I looked at him questioning what was funny.

"She's a fine woman"

"Yeah she is"

"Just be careful around here. George can be very dangerous also not everyone is as open as me, Kai. Be careful"

"I know."

George stumbled to the bar wasted as always and sat next to Chris. He was giving me a dirty look but I just ignored him and kept serving drinks.

"Hey! You, give me a drink, now"

"Go home George you're drunk"

"And who the fuck are you to tell me what to do" he tried to stand up but Chris pushed him back on his seat.

"You think youre all tough woman. This is MY bar and you're...fired" I snorted and just ignored him and cleaned the counter. He tried to reach to grab me over the bar but Chris held him before he can do so. I didn't even budge I just stared at him amused.

He looked around him to see two other men standing looking at us ready to give him a lesson. Those men will kill him in a heartbeat.

He wobbled himself away from Chris and fixed his shirt. I made a leave gesture towards the location of the door and he got the hint that he wasnt wanted in here anymore.

"You good boss"

I nodded to a guy called Jimmy. He was in his late thirties very tall and muscular. He was a very nice guy who lost his family. His wife and child died in a car accident last year and he was devastated. He was fired from his job for the reason of not showing up. So I gave him a small job to get his mind off of things. He stops the fights inside the bar, a security guard.

"My boy thinks he's tough huh" We chuckled

"You know we got your back, Kai."

"Jimmy can you please get everyone out"

After everyone was gone, except for Chris, Jimmy and a guy called one eyed Joe. Who got into a fight inside the bar and the other guy broke a glass and hit him in the eye. I paid his hospital bill and now he thinks he owns me. I did it because he needed help. They were the only people I trusted.

"I have a job for you. If youre interested of course"

I jumped over the counter and pulled a chair to sit on. I light my cigarette and watch them take their seats around the table.

"Mrs. Barns had a granddaughter..." They waited for me to continue.

"8 years ago Richard Barns the oldest son of Mrs. Barns died, leaving a new born baby called Anastasia. The last time she was scene was at his ex-girlfriend's house, the kid's mother. Mrs. Barns wrote a will. She recently erased George's name and put mine instead, the reason why she did that was because she didn't trust him"

I leaned over on the table to get closer.

"The papers said that everything that belonged to Mrs. Barns, meaning, the bar, the house, the car and a farm a few miles outside town belongs to me until the granddaughter is of age"

"What about the jobs you mentioned earlier?"

"I have a feeling he knows about this and he'll try to get to the kid. So I'm asking you to help me find her, please. I promised Mrs. Barns I'll protect her granddaughter."

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see Chris smiling at me softly. I held his hand and smiled back.

"We know how much she meant to you and we will help you"

"So where do we start, boss"