Episode 16 pt 1

<May 15th> <Christopher and Sherry's wedding day> <10:30am>

<no pov>

"Okay, mom, I'm leaving!" Rory exclaimed as she walked to the front door.

"Wait!" Zach exclaimed as he ran down the stairs.

He wore a white short sleeved button up with a black tie and beige khakis.

Rory wore a dark blue cocktail dress.

Rory whipped her head around and smiled. "What changed your mind?" She asked him.

He shrugged. "I don't know it just felt right." He replied.

"Well come on then we don't want to be late." She said as she opened the front door.

<the intro cuts in>

As they drove in silence, Zach thought about his dad. Had he really changed? Were things going to be different this time? Zach still did not know how he felt about him and Sherry, especially about him having another kid. He knows he should listen to what Jess said about moving on from it because there was nothing he could do to change what was happening.

He realized his grip increasing around the steering wheel. He took a deep breath and relaxed himself. Rory was too busy staring out the window to notice.

Moments of silence roll by, but was suddenly interrupted by Rory's phone going off. She smiled and answered the phone.

"Hey dad." She said cheerfully, but her smile soon faded. "Oh my God is she okay?" Rory asked worriedly. Zach furrowed his brows in confusion. "Yeah we'll meet you there. Bye." Rory said finally before hanging up the phone. "Take the next exit." She told Zach.

"What? Why?" He asked.

"Sherry went into labor and she wants us there. They're at the Boston Memorial Hospital."

"Uh uh." Zach shook his head.

"I thought you said you wanted to come!" Rory said.

"I changed my mind about going to the wedding I didn't say anything about attending a C-section!" He said.

Zach noticed how worried and flustered his sister was. Without another word, he took the exit.

When they arrived at the hospital they took the elevator up to the maternity wing. Once the doors opened they walked down the hall and around the corner to the young lady working at the desk.

"Sherry Tinsdale's room please." Rory said trying to be as calm as possible.

"She's right in there." The lady smiled and pointed in the direction of the room behind them. Rory glanced behind her. "Oh, thank you." Rory said.

"I don't know why you're so freaked out it's not like you're labor." Zach mumbled jokingly in Rory's ear as they walked into the room.

"Hi!" Sherry exclaimed cheerfully.  "Zach, I didn't think you were coming." She said then looked at Christopher.

"Neither did I." Christopher said.

"Oh well he changed his mind last minute." Rory said.

"Well I'm just happy the two of you are here." Christopher said as he began to smile.

"I'll be outside, it was nice to see you Sherry." Zach said managing a smile and left the room.

Rory then pulled a chair closer to the bed and sat down in it.

"Hey I'll be right back." Christopher said.

"Okay." Sherry smiled as Christopher leaned over the bed and kissed her head before leaving.

He walked into the waiting room and saw Zach leaning forward in one of the chairs. Once he got closer he noticed he was messing with his tie.

"Too tight?" He chuckled. "Here-"

"I've got it!" Zach snapped. After Zach adjusted his tie he sighed. "I'm sorry." He apologized.

"No no I get it you're upset." Christopher said.

Zach furrowed his eyebrows and his eyes narrowed. "Upset?" He said, whipping his head to look at his dad sitting next to him. "Im beyond upset, okay? I'm furious!" Zach exclaimed as he stood up angrily.

"Keep your voice down." Christopher said calmly. Zach took in a deep breath to calm himself down before he spoke again.

"There are not enough words in the Oxford English Dictionary you have Rory to describe how I feel about you and Sherry. Do you know how it feels to know that the person you've wanted to be there the most like he should've from the start finally starts being there...but then leaves and starts a new family?" Zach said while holding back his tears.

Christopher shook his head and looked at his son with sad eyes.

"No...no I don't." He said then stood up. "But what I do know is that I'm gonna make it right this time. Sherry and this baby is the second chance I never imagined I would get. This is my chance to do right by them the way I was never right by you and Rory. Your mom included." Christopher told him.

Zach shook his head in disbelief. "I wish I believed you. I want to believe you so badly." He told his dad.

"If you thought so badly about this then why'd you bother showing?" His dad asked. Zach's brows furrowed.

"I didn't come because of you I came for Rory." Zach responded, leaving his father dumbfounded. "I wouldn't have let her go alone to begin with I mean she hardly even knows anyone and she doesn't do well in social situations. But you wouldn't know that." He crossed his arms. Christopher looked at him confused.

"She knows me."

"You know what I mean."

"No, I don't know what you mean."

"She'll go and see that you've 'got you life together' and you'll start making all of these promises to her that you know you can't keep and once again you will have let her down."

"Zach-"

"No, I will not let you do this to her again!" Zach exclaimed.

Zach had expected his father to lash out at him in anger...but instead his father just stared at him and after a moment he smiled at his son.

"It's time." Rory spoke softly with a smile as she entered the waiting room.