chapter two: Determination

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
~ Thomas A. Edison

~*~

    I sighed as I looked around the enrollment facility. After my failed attempt to kill Schmidt, they sent me to work with and protect the man who made him. When I met Dr. Erskine, I was severely tempted to yell at him. He did, after all, create the man my poison could not kill. However, I knew that Dr. Erskine did not work for the Nazi's of his own free will, and that he was now helping the Allies.

    "You should go to the Stark Expo," Dr. Erskine offered. "You are a young person, no? Go out, enjoy yourself, flirt with a handsome young man."

    "I'm not that young," I told him with a wry smile.

    "You keep sighing," Dr. Erskine said in exasperation.

    "Because every man who comes in here is a hot-head," I said as another man was cleared for duty. It seemed everyone who was picked for the potential Super-Soldier program was worse than Thor, and I didn't think that was possible.    

    "Not every man," Dr. Erskine said as we watched a man who couldn't have weighed more than a hundred pounds being escorted to the back. "I'll be right back."

    "What are you doing?" I asked as I followed him.

    "I said I would be right back," Dr. Erskine said.

    "You didn't answer my question," I said crossing my arms.

    "May I see that?" Dr. Erskine asked the nurse, she handed it to him.

    "He's in a lot of trouble," the nurse said and I looked over Dr. Erskine's shoulder to see the man who had just come in had tried to enlist multiple times, and been denied each time.

"Steve Rogers," I read out curiously. "Determined son of a-"

    "I would like to speak to him," Dr. Erskine said. The nurse nodded and went through the curtain, she was used to Dr. Erskine's unusual requests. The doctor came out of the small exam area and gave us a nod.

    "He's going in first," I told Dr. Erskine as I gestured to an Enlistment Office MP.

    "Fine," Erskine said begrudgingly as we followed the MP in. The man in question looked like he was about to bolt and froze when he saw us. "Are you content?" Erskine asked, and I gave him a flat look. The poor man looked like a breeze would send him flying.

    "Thank you," Dr. Erskine told the MP. The man didn't argue, and just left, leaving the Mr. Rogers to stare at us. "So, you want to go overseas. Kill some Nazis," Erskine began. Great conversation starter, absolutely lovely.

"Excuse me?" Rogers asked.

"Dr. Abraham Erskine," Erskine said, "and this is Emma Tallis. We represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve."

"Steve Rogers," he said before looking at us curiously. "Where are y'all from?"

"Queens. 73rd Street and Utopia Parkway. Before that, Germany. This troubles you?" Erskine said, testing Rogers.

"No," the man said honestly, and then he looked at me curiously.

"London," I said shortly. "Where are you from, Mr. Rogers?"

"Is it New Haven? Or Paramus?" Dr. Erskine asked. "Five exams in five different cities."

"That might not be the right file," Mr. Rogers said nervously.

"No, it's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries. But you didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?" Erskine asked again.

"Is this a test?" Rogers asked, one which everyone I've seen Dr. Erskine ask have failed at.

"Yes," I said bluntly.

"I don't wanna kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from," Steve said firmly.

"Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is the little guy, huh?" Dr. Erskine asked as he stood up and left the room. "I can offer you a chance. Only a chance."

"I'll take it," Rogers said.

"Good. So where is the little guy from, actually?" Dr. Erskine asked.

"Brooklyn," Rogers said.

"Congratulations, soldier," I told him as I handed him the file.

"Miss Tallis," Dr. Erskine said, and he had a strange smile that I would call scheming. "Why don't you show Mr. Rogers around and explain a little bit about the program?"

"Excuse me?" I questioned, shooting him a glare.

"You young people need to enjoy the world when you can," Dr. Erskine announced before walking away.

"That man," I sighed.

"You don't have to," Rogers said awkwardly. "I know I'm exactly any lady's idea of a great date."

I gave him a surprised look, "if a woman judges a man only by what he looks like, then she is in for a very big surprise, Mr. Rogers." He seemed surprised by my comment, "I'm only annoyed with Dr. Erskine because I don't trust him to let an MP escort him home."

"Oh," Mr. Rogers said. "My offer still stands, you can stay here."

"As long as you don't want to go dancing," I said lightly, "I am all for exploring the expo."

"You don't like dancing?" Mr. Rogers asked.

"I don't like dancing with a man I don't know," I said. "I also haven't danced in many years, so I'm a bit rusty."

"Well, I promise I won't try to take you dancing," Mr. Rogers said.

"Thank you," I told him smiling. "Though, I believe we could both use some food."

"There was a vendor down the street," Mr. Rogers said. "I mean, it's hotdogs, and I don't know if you like hotdogs, but..."

"I am not picky," I told him. "I honestly quite enjoy trying new things, especially food."

"Have you tried a lot of food around the world?" Mr. Rogers asked as we walked.

I thought about it, how does one answer honestly about something like this. "I've traveled a lot, and I always make a point to try something new if I can."

"Where have you been?" Mr. Rogers asked.

"Around most of Europe," I told him honestly. "I particularly enjoyed Scotland. Have you traveled at all, Mr. Rogers?"

"No, and call me Steve," he said smiling.

"Then you must call me Emma," I told him. "If you make it through the program, I expect you will travel a great deal."

"What kind of program is it?" Steve asked.

"A selection," I said. "Though to be honest, I believe it's a way for them to pick a guinea pig. The other groups only picked men who were large, strong, and overbearing. I can't imagine they had to try very hard to get in though, so I do not expect they'll be selected."

"Why do you say that?" Steve asked.

"Because Dr. Erskine explained that what we're not trying to find the most physically fit man, but rather, the strongest man of mind and morals. We don't need to make another bully for the world to fight."

"I'm tiny though," Steve said.

"But you're determined," I said. "And you obviously have good morals."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you didn't automatically assume the worst about Dr. Erskine. You don't automatically hate foreigners. You genuinely want to help your country and the world," I said happily, making the poor man blush. "And those are things very much lacking today."

~*~