Chapter 5

Ozpin and Glynda can be seen through the window into Ozpin's office.

Glynda: Ironwood certainly loves bringing his work wherever he travels.

Ozpin: Well, running an academy and a military makes him a busy man. But yes, those are a bit of an eyesore. (A chirping beep sounds repeatedly. Ozpin turns to see a hollow-message "Access Requested" on his desk.) Come in.

The door opens revealing James Ironwood as he steps in.

Ironwood is a well dressed white Caucasian male.  much like Ozpin. He wears a white overcoat, with a gray undercoat, black sweater, a red necktie and a white glove on his right hand. His suit pants share the same color as his overcoat and are tucked into silver boots accented in gray.

 His suit pants share the same color as his overcoat and are tucked into silver boots accented in gray

Ironwood: (cordially) Ozpin!

Ozpin stands at attention.

Ozpin: Hello, General.

Ironwood: Please, drop the formalities. (Both approach and shake hands as Glynda also approaches.) It's been too long. And Glynda! It has certainly been too long since we last met.

Glynda: Oh, James! (Gives a personable wave and then drops all pleasantries.) I'll be outside. (She walks away.)

Ironwood: Well, she hasn't changed a bit.

Ozpin: (As he turns to his desk...) So, what in the world has brought you all the way down from Atlas? (He picks up a mug and a kettle, pouring as he speaks.) Headmasters don't typically travel with their students, for the Vytal Festival. (He turns and offers the cup to Ironwood.)

Ironwood: (Takes the cup and a clink is heard) Well, you know how much I love Vale this time of year. (Ironwood produces a canteen from his inside coat pocket and pours its contents into his mug.) Besides, with you hosting, I thought that this might be a good opportunity for us to catch up. (Ozpin walks around to his desk, kettle and a new mug in hand.)

Ozpin: (Ozpin sits and pours himself some coffee.) I can certainly appreciate the quality time between friends, however, a small fleet outside my window has me concerned.

Ironwood: Well, concern is what brought them here.

Ozpin: I understand that travel between kingdoms has become increasingly difficult.

Ironwood: Oz, you and I both know why I brought those men.

Ozpin: (Takes a drink and sets down his mug.) We are in a time of peace. Shows of power like this are just going to give off the wrong impression.

Ironwood: But if what Qrow said is true...

Ozpin: If what Qrow said is true, then we will handle it tactfully. (Ozpin emphasizes this as he holds up an index finger.) It's the Vytal Festival. A time to celebrate unity and peace. So I suggest that you not scare people by transporting hundreds of soldiers halfway across the continent.

Ironwood: I'm just being cautious.

Ozpin: As am I. Which is why we will continue to train the best Huntsmen and Huntresses we can.

Ironwood: Believe me, I am. (Ironwood turns and walks away. He stops near the door and looks back at Ozpin.) But ask yourself this: Do you honestly believe your children can win a war? (He continues on his way to the exit.)

Ozpin: I hope they never have to.

Later that night, Daphne is sitting in an interviewing office as Ozpin enters. Daphne quietly acknowledges his statement.

Ozpin: I'm sure that after a night of thwarting attempted robbery, you probably just want to go home and take a nap. But, I was hoping that maybe we could have a chance to talk.

Daphne: Of course.

Ozpin: Wonderful. As you know, in order to enroll at my academy, students must first pass a rigorous entrance exam. Most applicants spend years of preparation training at one of the many combat schools around the world. You are one of the few that did not. And you passed the exam with flying colors.

Daphne: I went up against one of the most dangerous criminals in the world. If I didn't get through that, I knew I wouldn't survive getting in Beacon.

Ozpin: Well, you have most certainly survived, Daphne. I admire your drive. And I am proud to run a school that accepts individuals from all walks of life. Rich, poor, human... (Sips his coffee.) Faunus...

(Daphne glares at him.)

Ozpin: Why do you wear that scarf that way, Daphne? Why hide who you are?

Daphne: You and the gang may be willing to accept the Faunus, Professor Ozpin, but your species is not. And besides, i've had it for so long, it's become part of my normal clothing.

Ozpin: True, but we are continuing to take strides to lessen the divide.

Daphne: With all due respect, you need to start taking some larger strides. Until then, I'd rather avoid any unnecessary attention. I want people to see me for who I am, not what I am.

Ozpin: And what are you?

Daphne: I don't understand what you're asking.

Ozpin: How did you know the White Fang would be at the shipyard tonight?

Daphne: I didn't. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Ozpin: You wouldn't have been the first. But what happened tonight was not an isolated incident. I may be your headmaster, but I am also a Huntsman, and it is my sworn duty to protect this world from the forces that conspire against it. Miss Blake, are you sure there is nothing else you would like to tell me?

Daphne: I'm sure, sir.

Ozpin: Very well. Thank you for your time. (Ozpin stands and heads to the door. He stops and turns to Daphne.) If you ever need to talk to me. (The camera shows Daphne momentarily.) Please, don't hesitate to ask. (Ozpin shuts the door behind him.)