Chapter 3

The following day, outside 'From Dust Till Dawn', the shop owner fell off his ladder. That's when a young woman, the one who accidentally bumped into the ladder the shop owner was on, walked over and offered a hand to help the man up. This woman's name was Emerald Sustrai.

Emerald is a young woman with medium-brown skin and dark-red eyes. Her hair is a light, mint-green with a straight fringe and bangs as well as two long locks on each side in the back. She wears two bronze-colored rings on her middle fingers as well as a pair of strappy high-heeled pumps.

"Sorry, i'm not really from around here." Emerald said, offering to help the man back to his feet

The shop owner grabbed her hand and she pulled him back to his feet. After the shop owner was back on his feet,  Emerald pulled a card out of her pocket and showed it to the shop owner.

"Would you mind pointing me in the direction of this shop?" Emerald kindly asks

After getting the needed directions, Emerald walked past her partner, Mercury Black.

Mercury Black is a pale, young man with gray eyes and gray hair, He wears a slate gray and black two-tone partial-zip jacket that covers his upper body. He also wore a single notched belt with what appears to be a sash or bandana draped over it. Protecting his arms are a set of rerebraces and vambraces.

"I knew you were lost." Mercury scoffed

Emerald turned to Mercury, holding a wallet she had pickpoketed off of someone, and said, "Mercury, I will seriously pay you to shut up."

"That's not your money." Mercury says

"But it could be yours for five minutes of silence." Emerald responds

After some thinking, Mercury said, "No deal."

"Fine." Emerald responds, tossing down some of the Lien, and the she walked off.

"Whatever." Mercury responds as he follows Emerald. "You want me."

The two continued walking to their destination.

"How much farther?" Mercury asked at some point during the walk

"A few blocks." Emerald responds

Mercury groaned a little looking around as he said, "This place is so dull."

"Eh, I kinda like it." Emerald says. "Tall buildings, nice culture..."

"And lots of dopey people to pickpocket." Mercury said

"Again, the offer still stands for that money if you will be quiet for at least five minutes unless someone talks to you directly." Emerald states

"It's still a no." Mercury said

When reaching their destination, it was a book store. Lights were off but there was enough lights coming in from the windows and from the small desk lamp at the counter for them to be able to see around the place.

As Mercury looked over a few shelves, Emerald walked up to the service bell and rang it to see if anyone was in the place at the moment.

"Be right there!" A male voice, presumably the store runner, called out from the back of the store

Just then, Tuckson, the store's owner and runner came out of the back room, carrying a bunch of books.

"Welcome to Tuckson's Book Trade. Home to every book under the sun." Tuckson said as he set the stacks of books on a nearby desk

Tukson was a feline based Faunus who had retractable claws and appeared much like any other person in Vale. He wore a short-sleeved quarter-zip burgundy and black shirt with a visible white undershirt. His hair was cleanly cut, and he had noticeable sideburns, along with hairy, muscular arms.

 His hair was cleanly cut, and he had noticeable sideburns, along with hairy, muscular arms

"How may I help you?" Tuckson asks to Emerald and Mercury

"Just browsing." Mercury said, putting a book back on the shelf

"Actually, I was wondering if you have any copies of 'The Thief and The Butcher'." Emerald said

"Yes, we do." Tuckson replied. "Would you.....like a copy?"

"No. Just wondering if you happened to have any copies." Emerald states just as Mercury finished looking through another book and getting a confused look from Tuckson. "Oh, oh What about 'Violet's Garden'? In paperback to be specific."

"He's got it." Mercury calls out, looking over a shelf. "And in hardback as well."

"Nice selection..." Emerald comments

"Eh, not many pictures." Mercury comments, setting another book down. "Any comics?"

"They should be near the front." Tuckson answers

"How......about......" Emerald starts. "..'The Art of War'?"

"Umm......" Tuckson starts. "I........" he further tried to speak, getting glances from both Emerald AND Mercury. "....don't think we happen to have that one yet."

"Oh." Mercury comments

"What was this pace called again?" Emerald asks

"Tuckson's Book Trade." Tuckson answers

"And you're Tuckson?" Emerald further asks

Tuckson simply nodded.

"So then I take it that you're the one who came up with the place's catchphrase?" Emerald questions

"That's right." Tuckson answers

"And what was that catchphrase again?" Mercury asked

Tuckson sighed and said, "Tuckson's Book Trade. Home to every book under the sun."

"Except 'The Art of War'." Mercury stated

"It's just a catchphrase." Tuckson stated

"It's false advertising." Mercury stated

"You shouldn't make a promise you can't keep, Tuckson." Emerald adds as Mercury shut the metal window shudders. "I hear you're planning on leaving. Moving all the way to Vacuo. Your brothers and sisters in the White Fang wouldn't be very happy to hear that."

As Mercury shut the final shudder on the store, he smirked a little.

"...and neither are we." Emerald finished. "You know who we are, don't you?"

"Yes." Tuckson replied

"And......you know why we're here?" Emerald asks

Tuckson nodded as Mercury walked over to the desk.

"So.....are you going to fight back?"  Emerald asks

"YES!" Tuckson snapped, jumping up on the counter, claws out

He jumped at Emerald, trying ot slice her with his claws but she ducked and dodged the attack.

"Huh???" Tuckson muttered

Within seconds, Mercury had kicked him really hard in the face, knocking him to the ground.

A few minutes later, Emerald and Mercury had left the store after having murdered Tuckson, Mercury having grabbed a comic on his way out.

"What's with that?" Emerald asked after stretching her arms a bit before shutting the door of the store behind them

"Eh, I like the pictures." Mercury answered

With that, they left the area, no one having known what they did to Tuckson. Or the rest of his store.