babysit

"HEY Y/N, COME IN!" Maki opened her apartment door and stepped aside, allowing her best friend in

"Hey Maki! Where's little Lily?" Y/n excitedly slipped off her shoes and dropped her purse on the kitchen counter, skipping to the living room.

"She's sleeping at the moment, so don't worry about her, but thanks for coming on such short notice." Maki thanked, quickly putting on her coat and brushing down her hair.

"Ahhh it's no problem! As long as you take me out for dinner as a reward." Y/n plopped down on the sofa, grabbing the T.V remote and clicking through the channels.

"I should be back by tomorrow afternoon. Everything you need to use to take care of Lily are either in my room, or in the bathroom. I left a sticky note with tips and stuff and...Oh, be sure you don't let her eat too much, she tends to overeat and cry from a tummy ache." Maki explained in a rush, slipping on her heels.

Maki was off to a family emergency, as her father was checked into a hospital after a car accident. Since it was all the way in Nagoya, she felt it was best to leave her daughter, Lily, with someone she trusted.

"I gotcha, I gotcha! Lily is in great hands!!" Y/n assured.

Maki narrowed her eyes at y/n. "This is only your second time caring for Lily alone, so I called for back up. They'll be staying with you to help you babysit."

"Who is it? Shindo?"

"...I considered him, but no. Anyway, I need to go! See you tomorrow! Try not to eat all the food in the fridge!" Maki teased, strutting out of the apartment.

Y/n fell back onto the couch, pouting her lips. "...I wonder who she called for..."

. . .

Y/n held Lily on her lap, playing with the baby's hands as she cooed at it. She heard three knocks come from the front door, her picking up Lily and walking to the door.

"Coming!" She shouted, adjusting Lily on her hip as she opened the door.

Her heart dropped when she saw who it was. "...Why are you here?"

"...Why are you here?" Tsukishima hissed, glowering at her.

"I'm here to take care of Lily!"

"That's not possible, Maki asked me to take care of Lily till tomorrow."

"...This is the most insulting thing Maki has ever done to me." Y/n muttered, turning away from the door and walking back to the living room. "She thinks I'm so incapable of babysitting Lily by myself, that she called someone like you to assist!"

"HUH!? What was that!??" Tsukishima sneered as he entered the apartment, closing the door behind him with his elbow.

"Listen, you can go home. I can take care of Lily on my own!" Y/n ordered, whipping around to him with squinted eyes.

"Can you? Because Lily needs to be burped."

"Hm?" Y/n brought Lily out in front of her, to see the baby tensing up in an uncomfortable manner. "Oh shit—" She cursed under her breath, bringing Lily to her chest and lightly patting her back to help her burp.

"You need my help. Honestly, I just don't feel alright with leaving Lily in your hands." Tsukishima admitted, setting his overnight duffle bag by the couch and taking a seat on the sofa.

Y/n growled in her throat, her eye twitching with irritation. "...Fine....As long as you change her diapers!"

. . .

Y/n returned to the living room after using the restroom, to see Tsukishima playing with Lily on the ground. She was playing with some toy that had pictures of different fruits, which you could match to their colors.

Y/n leaned against the doorway, watching as Tsukishima talked to the baby. "Now what color is strawberry?...Right, it's red, great job Lily." He whispered as the baby pointed to a red square, Lily clapping at her accomplishment.

"Now what color is a grape?...Purple, good job! You're gonna become the next Einstein when you grow up!" He chuckled, Lily grabbing into his skimpy finger with her tiny hand.

"...She doesn't know who Einstein is, moron."

Tsukishima took a glance over his shoulder, before quickly turning back to Lily. "How long we're you just standing there, you creep?"

"Long enough to make fun of you...but I won't." She giggled, sitting on the couch in front of him. "...You don't strike me as the type of guy who likes kids."

"And why not?" He mumbled, allowing Lily to crawl into his lap.

"You're just too much of an asshole to seem like the dad type."

"Fuck off." He scoffed, picking up Lily underneath the armpits. "...She needs her diaper changed."

"UGHHHHHH, I'll do it. I'll bathe her while I'm at it." Y/n groaned, carefully taking Lily into her arms. "Give us about 30 minutes."

"Take your sweet time. Just try not to drown the baby."

"Not funny."

. . .

"How's everything with Lily? Is she behaving well?" Maki asked over the phone with Tsukishima, him sprawled across the couch.

"Yep, everything is going pretty well at the moment. How about your dad? Is he alright?"

"Yep, the injuries are a lot less severe than we thought. Anyways can you put y/n on the phone? I wanna see how she's holding up."

"Yeah hold on a sec." Tsukishima jumped up from the couch, muting himself on the phone as he walked to the bathroom. As he approached the door, lifting his hand to knock, he heard y/n start to talk.

"Man, Lily, you're just the cutest!" She giggled.

Tsukishima leaned his shoulder against the wall, listening in as y/n and Lily took a bath together.

"Maki's so strong, taking care of a child at 23...I envy her strength...You don't understand it now, but your mom is super cool."

Tsukishima scoffed to himself. Is she fangirling over her best friend?

"...Yknow...I hope one day...I can be just as strong as Maki...I hope I can become brave enough to be able to have a family of my own..."

His shoulders dropped, his whole aura falling flat.

"...I pray you don't grow up to have a stupid fear like I do...It's annoying having to hold back when it comes to love...I just...

wanna be hugged.

....Oh my god, I'm ranting to a toddler. What has my life come to?" She laughed.

Tsukishima waited a few moments, before pushing off the wall and walking back to the living room, unmuting himself on the phone. "...She's taking a bath right now but, I can assure you...

she's holding up just fine."