𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐓𝐀𝐑 - aang

word count // 1.0 words
pov // second
warning(s) // not any, i guess?
dedicated to Pack-of-prunes (thank you for requesting !!)

female reader + platonic/sibling relationship between reader and aang

sorry if it isn't what you had in mind!  i can do another one for you if you weren't too happy!

You, unlike the other airbenders you practised with, were a girl. The boys didn't treat you as such, though, fortunately. They treated you like every other boy they played with and you loved it—the Monks couldn't complain because you showed visible distaste when they treated you like a proper young lady.

You were a year older than your best friend. He had just turned twelve and you turned thirteen almost two months prior.  The two of you were inseparable ever since he arrived to the Air Temple—you were drawn to him for an inexplicable reason.

"Aang!"  He had just come back from speaking with the Monks and you hopped onto his back, arms wrapped tightly around his neck to stable yourself.  He didn't make an attempt to catch you, letting your legs hang at his sides.  "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he went to push you off but you kept your grip.  Your legs tucked around his waist and you were now attached to him like a lemur.  "(Y/N), get off of me."

"Not until you tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong."

"Aang."  Your stern tone made Aang sigh and crane his neck to glance back at you.  "You are like my brother.  I know when you're feeling down.  Tell Big Sis (Y/N/N) what's wrong."

"The Monks just told me something."  The boy made a scooter for himself and carried you to his bedroom, quickly ducking past other kids and such.

You threw yourself into his bed as soon as he dropped you and you stared at the ceiling as Aang paced his room.  "Tell me."

"I'm the Avatar."

You stared at the boy, mouth slack in shock.  You sat up and reached out to him, beckoning him over to you.  He sat down in front of you and took your hands, tears brimming his eyes.  You felt your heart drop to your feet and you brought him into a tight embrace, kissing his head before nuzzling into his shoulder.  "You'll do fine, Aang."

"I'm twelve!  I'm just a kid, not the Avatar!  I don't want to have that responsibility!"  Aang cried into your neck, death grip on your waist.  You felt awful—you couldn't bring him a peaceful state of mind or any comforting  words because you didn't understand what he was going through.

"I'm right here for you, Aang."  You pulled back from the hug, smiling at him and wiping his face of tears.  "I'll always be right by your side, ready to help you.  Dont ever forget that, okay?  Even if we get old, I'm going to be your partner."

Aang smiled back at you before pulling you back into another hug.  You were thankful that he wasn't sobbing anymore.  You never wanted to hear him cry again.

———

Ever since Aang found out that he was the Avatar, he had been treated differently. You tried to not outcast him, but the other boys had other plans. They no longer wanted to play with Aang and they had tried to cut you off as well.

You knocked the ball into the hoop and howled with victory, your team following suit of you. You jumped down and landed gracefully, smiling up at the boys. "I'm going to go check up on Aang, guys! Don't score too many without me!"

You rushed off, propelling yourself with a gust of wind to your back. You scanned the ground before deciding to check with Monk Gyatso.

You made it to him, spotting Aang leaning against the balcony. You snuck behind him and wrapped him in a hug, giggling and kissing his cheek. "How's my favourite airbender?"

"I don't know who that is," Aang chuckled back at you, shifting and returning the hug. You giggled again and smiled towards Gyatso, releasing Aang and bowing in respect.

"(Y/N), there is no need for that. Will you help Aang and I with these cakes?" Gyatso set a fresh cake on the ledge, alongside four other cakes. You smirked and nodded, pulling Aang a few metres from the ledge.

Gyatso chuckled and watched as you two sent the cakes flying towards the Monks' meditation. You cackled and Anag laughed, now distracted by your over-the-top laughter to be bothered by his initial conversation with Gyatso.

———

You tossed in your sleep, the thunder outside disturbing your slumber.  Just as you were about to relax, a large shadow crossed over your window and forced you to open your eyes. An air bison's tail flew by and you rushed up and to the window. You were shocked to see one of the large animals wake at this time of night, but you almost shouted when you saw a small kid on its back.

You grabbed your staff and pushed the window open, scanning below you to see no one. You jumped, the staff catching a breeze and allowing you to fly after the bison and airbender.

As you approached, you recognised their build and growled, landing on the air bison's saddle and startling the driver. "Aang, you have to get back home now."

He glared at you, either tears or raindrops falling down his face. "I can't be the Avatar, (Y/N)!"

"You can't run away from it, Aang!" You took his cheek in your palm and drowned at him, trying to be rational with him. "It's something that you were born with! You'll have to accept it, sooner rather than later."

Aang shook his head and went to push you off when his air bison groaned and avoided a flash of lightning. "(Y/N), sit down! Come on, Appa—yip-yip!"

You held onto the side of the saddle, petting Appa to try and calm the large beast. He groaned again and suddenly you felt yourself start to descend quickly. Your anxiety piqued and you worriedly glanced at Aang, seeing the boy flailing as we fell. You screamed, trying to reach the boy.

You crashed into the freezing water, the impact blurring your vision with black spots. You lost Aang and tried to shout for him, forgetting the water encasing you. The freezing liquid started to fill your mouth and lungs, making you start to frantically crawl at your throat.

Your consciousness slipped and your thoughts went silent and you felt all of your limbs grow heavy. Weight rested on your waist and a bright flash of light blinded you before you succumbed to the darkness invading your senses.

———