𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐑 - zuko

word count // 1,711
pov // 3rd
god this took forever to finish so it may not be completely edited
also part two? lmk

————

"You will obey the General."

"No."

"Why, you little—"

"Leave my niece, Commander." The older man pushed past the soldier, holding his arm out and helping the girl up. She straightened her dress and robes, pushing her hair from her face and shoulders. She smirked at the soldier, winking before following after the old man.

"Thank you, Iroh. Your help is much appreciated."

"You mustn't stray too far from your original path, my dear. Steer clear of those that dare deceive you."

"So you speak of yourself, I presume?" She giggled at the mock-hurt expression on the man's face, covering her mouth with her scarlet fan. Iroh chuckled and continued down the trail, the girl breaking from him soon after they were reacquainted.

————

"You had her and didn't keep her locked?!"

"Zuko, you must calm. She did not mean any harm." Sipping on his tea, he placed the air piece over the earth, merely looking up when his nephew knocked the kettle over in a small tantrum. "I see you will not listen to reason."

"Listen to reason? Uncle, she is has been nothing but a nuisance to myself and the Fire Nation. She is a secret enemy, a hidden destructive. She will destroy what we have built."

"She's fourteen, Zuko. She is someone who hasn't yet mastered firebending. She is no threat you or the Nation. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make more tea." Iroh stood, grabbed the tea kettle, and left his nephew on the deck to throw a tantrum.

Zuko growled and went to bend at whoever grew close to him, but when he heard the feminine giggle, he stopped and turned to the source. On the ledge sat the girl they had been speaking of less than five minutes ago. "(Y/N)."

"Can't say I'm shocked that you're still after the dead Avatar. You and I both know he hasn't been seen for a hundred years." She laughed and jumped onto the deck, stalking closer to the prince until they were nose-to-nose. "You aren't going to find him."

Zuko grew frustrated and bended at her, only for her to jump and backhand out of the fire's path. She pulled her hair up and poised herself to fight, set in a bending stance. Zuko chuckled mockingly and stood himself, glaring at the girl. She clicked her tongue and shook her head, "I am so disappointed, Prince Zuko. When your pride is tested, you will fight even a girl. Again, can't say I'm shocked, but still disappointed."

She jumped onto her right foot and turned on her left, her right shooting behind her quickly and quietly after she steadied almost instantly. She made no noise as she firebended, a large flame shooting towards the banished prince. He jumped out of the way and retaliated, not calling for anyone but yelling after her. She simply caught the fire and surrounded herself with it, not as a shield but as a propeller, to easily send the fire towards the prince.

Zuko moved out of the only path she possibly had, but she had predicted his movements and pushed a portion of her saved energy, hitting Zuko and sending him across the deck. She smirked and crossed her arms, the fire dissipating and leaving the two teenagers on the deck alone. "Wow, watching that waterbender helped. Thanks for the practice, Prince Zuko!"

She jumped overboard and into the water, swimming back to shore and sitting on the coastline. She smiled and waved when Zuko walked to the edge of the boat, standing and ringing her dress and robes out. Before she disappeared into the woods, she turned and blew a kiss to the prince as well as a wink, leaving him to gawk.