𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐘 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐂𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐆 - aang

word count // 1,703
pov // 1st, (Y/N)
i indeed rewatched episode one and studied it to write this crap post 🙃

————

"It's not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn, girls. This is how you catch a fish." Sokka smirked at us, his spear aimed towards the fish. I merely shook my head as Katara eyed the water after glancing at her brother. She tapped my arm, pointing to another fish in the water.

I smiled at her and she removed her glove, taking a deep breath and relaxing herself. With a bit of movement, she lifted the fish out of water in a wet bubble. She grinned and I laughed, "Sokka, look!"

He shushed me, eyeing his own fish. "Katara, you're gon'na scare it away," he whispered poorly. He trained his attenion towards the fish, ignoring his sister as well as the caught fish. I sighed through my nose as Katara bended the water higher. "But Sokka, I caught one!"

When she bended the water over the boat, Sokka's spear handle stabbed the bubble, popping it and dropping the fish back into the water. It also soaked Sokka to the bone and got my coat a bit wet. He turned, irritated and wet, "Why is it that everytime you play with magic water, I get soaked?!"

Katara scoffed, "It's not magic, it's waterbending! And it's—"

"Yeah, yeah—an ancient art, unique to our culture—blah, blah, blah! Look, I'm saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself."

"You're calling Katara weird? She's not the one who makes muscles at herself everytime she catches her reflection in the water." I jabbed my finger at him, him proving my point by flexing his arms. He turned and glared at me, about to say something when we hit a strong current.

The current started dragging us through the water, narrowly missing small ice glaciers. Sokka tried to help by paddling out of the way while Katara and I held onto the sides of the boat. "Watch out," both of us shouted at the guy, just missing a larger glacier. "Go left, go left!"

Not following her advice, we were pulled and trapped between glaciers, closing in and breaking the canoe. We collapsed onto the ice, me quickly grabbing at Katara's foot before she fell over and into the water. "You call that left?"

Before I knew it, Katara started yelling at Sokka and throwing her arms around, obviously angry and annoyed. The water started growing restless and, with her aggressive motions, a large glacier started breaking. Sokka also realized the cracking ice and he tried to calm his sister. I turned and cautiously stepped between the siblings. "Katara, settle down."

"No, that's it! I'm done helping him! From now on, you're on your own!" With a final arm-throw, the ice broke, now startling Katara and frightening both Sokka and me. The glacier split and sent us flying with a wave, almost knocking us off. When we settled, Katara and Sokka were gripping on the edge while I embraced Sokka's enlodged spear.

"Now you've gone from weird to freakish, Katara."

"Don't be mean, Sokka."

"You mean, I did that?!"

"Yep, congratulations!" As Sokka finished his remark, a bright light shone from below the water, startling our group. It quickly grew larger before a large round glacier split the water's surface. Fascinated, I noticed that there was a what looked to be a person in the ice! He opened his eyes, pure white light emitted from behind his lids. Katara and I looked to each other. "He's alive!"

"We have to help!" Katara grabbed her brother's weapon from his sheath on his back while I grabbed my own club from my back pack. Sokka started chasing after us as we bounded over smaller ice caps. "Katara, (Y/N)! Get back here! We don't know what they thing is!"