roommates

so uh hey yall... i should stop promising chapters and just pop up with them surprise surprise.

mentally these few months have been a LOT i have not felt any sort of creative juices so typing was hard. Thanks for reading if you've stuck around! I'm mentally not doing too great haha

if you're still reading: thanks!

MA rating ahead but yall knew that already.

--

"Men are babies," is how you find yourself starting the 11 AM conversation with your friends, sitting at a table in an outdoor cafe on a soon to be sweltering day. It's breezy now, so you took the time to get some fresh air before you watched someone else move your things into your new (hopefully stress-free) apartment. With one arm holding Kaya and the other holding your phone, you continue to fuss and whine and complain about N'Jadaka blowing up your text messages.

Across from you, Sydney and Kayla just shake their heads over their omelets, offering sympathetic silence to your rambling.

"So," Sydney interrupts. "You're  moving out because...why?"

"Because he gets on my damn nerves."

"Right."

"And for occupational hazards."

"Of course," Kayla adds. She's been especially supportive of your decision. Sydney just seems to not want you to get too hype but you have to assure her you're fine. She adds another quip about how long it's been since you've had sex but you know that's not why you're so irritable. 

Rolling your eyes, you say, "I'm no longer dickmatized by that man I've been freed and I will partake whenever I feel like it."

Your friends just look at each other, smirking as a waitress comes by to refill the water pitcher.

Truthfully, N'Jadaka's libido has been getting the best of him despite his constant denials in your little game of who-can-outlast-longer. Everytime you get out of the shower or bath, or he catches you putting on lotion he lingers a bit too long in the background until you turn and he ignores you. It won't be long now before he caves, you just know it.

You just don't want to admit defeat.

Kaya spits out her pacifier once a particularly hard breeze passes through, scrunching her face up and staring up at you like you did it. As you try and calm her down again, you think about how part of N'Jadaka's temper tantrums as of late has to be the lack of ability to keep tabs on his little princess here. She's still so small and so new, but you think this bit of fresh air will benefit her. 

The way your phone rings all but tells you that your 'time is up.' Your friends just laugh at the way your eyes disappear under your eyelids.

"He-"

He can't even let you finish, cutting you off with, "You was supposed to be back here an hour ago, what's the problem."

You frown, looking at your watch before holding the phone back up to your ears. "Well, maybe I lost track of time. Since when am I not allowed to be outside longer than a couple hours?"

"Since you out in these streets with my kid."

"Your kid- and what streets?! I stay in the bougiest of neighborhoods and locations for your sake thank you very much." 

You hear him sigh on the other end, his voice still sleepy like he just woke up. "_____ I'm not about to argue with you."

He knows that gets on your nerves, when he acts like your dad, and you know that's precisely why he does it. Your friends watch you hang up in frustration, and then proceed to stab your cold scrambled eggs with your fork like you haven't eaten in days. You honestly don't think you've had any full meals recently, too stressed about recent happenings to feel hungry after a couple bites.