these violent delights have violent ends

and in their triumph die, like fire and powderwhich as they kiss, consume.the sweetest honey is loathsome in it's own deliciousness.so love moderately

bitch.

- - -

The clock on the shiny hotel night table confirms the fact that you haven't slept longer than an hour or so, kept awake by the lingering anxiety of the night's events. 

You're still alone, giving a slow once-over to the large suite one more time before sighing and trying to find a cool spot on the pillow. The rest of the night seemed like a blur, like a movie in fast-forward mode, and you still aren't sure that you've completely processed it all. 

Devon is dead, you think, and you don't know how you feel about it. Sure, he could've gotten away but you highly doubt N'Jadaka would've allowed him out of sight for a second. But you don't know, and he wouldn't tell you, only staring at the road with an intense silence that had you afraid to speak. 

There are cold barbecue wings and fries in the fridge, and a mess of your shopping bags all over the floor of the nicest hotel room you've ever been in. There's a small kitchen inside and a Jacuzzi-tub,  but a strict no-pet policy that had you dropping off King to your parents in secret. The lights were on in their bedroom, but you doubt they heard the heavy thud of N'Jadaka strong-arming King over the fence when he could've just opened it. You wanted to fight him, but in the mood he was in he probably would've impulsively elbow-dropped you.

Zeus nearly gave the two of you away, barking but unable to resist roughhousing with his stepbrother. The distraction let you get away, and now you wonder just where N'Jadaka ran off to. 

First, he had to have gotten medical attention, but on the other hand you don't like the thought of him running around trying to find the last One like a rabid animal. The uneasiness in your stomach grows, and you reach blindly in the dark for your cell phone and dial the fifth contact in your Favorites list.

It picks up on the fourth ring. 

"What you doin' up?" he asks, his voice all you hear from the other end. 

"I'm waiting on you," you say nervously. "Where are you? Are you coming back soon?"

He sighs hard, like he isn't pleased with all of your questioning, before saying, "Yeah, yeah. Imma be back soon,  baby, just chill out. Go back to sleep."

"But-"

"_____," he says firmly, cutting your words short. "Relax, aight?"

And the phone hangs up.

You let out a frustrated groan before trying your luck with the television, and it's complicated to figure out like all hotel tvs. When you finally give up and switch it off, you toss the remote somewhere on the Queen-sized bed before pulling a new plush blanket tighter around you. 

Since the hotel will apparently be your home for the next few days you made N'Jadaka stop at a Walmart on the way so you could run in and grab a few things. Hotel comforters aren't your favorite; even in ones as nice as this, so your first item was a King-sized plush blanket. Next, was a cheap pack of cotton underwear because the only clothes you have are from the mall. Normally that's fine, but you like to wash everything you wear first.

You're so caught up in the thoughts of what you're going to wear that you almost fail to notice the faint beep of the room door opening. At first you gasp, only to see it's N'Jadaka with the lights of the hallway behind him.