devil eyes

All of the people enjoying their post-Christmas shopping around you have no idea how much vitriolic rage is bubbling inside you, a woman with a Kate Spade bag and a crease in your brow, as you stare down the devil-eyed man sitting in a chair in front of you. Now, more often than not, you don't pay a single bit of attention to the people sitting in the various rest areas around the mall because they usually house tired parents and their kids taking a break from the busy environment.

Seeing Devon checking his phone in one of the cozy mall chairs wasn't a part of the plan. 

Nor was seeing B, and a second glance to the Coach store in front of you lets you know she's still lingering inside. Presented to you are two people who you truly believe would have a mental conniption at the discovery of your pregnancy and all you can think to do is tiredly send a text to N'Jadaka. 

It's code because he made you arrange situations to emojis when you refused to remember all the military jargon he was spitting at you one night. It doesn't matter the type, as long as it's a red one followed by location and he'll come find you. And that's just what you do as Devon opens his mouth to once again to ask if you're really pregnant. 

> 🌹🌹🌹 Sycamore Grove 🌹🌹🌹

The response is near instant. 

> goofy ass. what store

> kate spade

You roll your eyes and wordlessly turn your back on the man in front of you; he's not worth your time and energy and you'll be damned if you stress over his reappearances in your life. The mere sight of Devon has you wanting to retreat back into the safety of N'Jadaka's lap; curled up and staring at your phone while he watches tv and rubs all on your behind like it's a stress ball.  

"How is any of that your business?" you ask, shifting your bag to  your other hand. "How is anything about me your business? And how did you even know that?"

Devon scoffs at your tone, no doubt used to the timid and accommodating woman he used to manipulate, before rising to his feet. God, the more you look at him the more you wonder what you were thinking when you let him charm you in that bar back then. It hasn't been that long since the two of you split, and you have some kind of sneaking suspicion that he's only interested in you because you don't want anything to do with him.

He didn't appreciate you when he had you and now his Horse Veneers doesn't know what to do with himself. 

"So, that's the type of nigga you want, then.  Okay."

For a second you just look at him, unable to find anything to say to the blatant jealousy going on here. The way he's looking at you makes you uncomfortable and you don't know if this meeting is going to go any direction but south. Even after the fact because he just goes on and on about you and him and how N'Jadaka isn't going to do anything but bounce to the next girl when he gets sick of 'fucking you.'

At this point you're over this interaction so you try and leave, making sure to turn the other direction so as to avoid the Coach store, but a hand grabs your jacket. 

"I'm not done talkin' to you," he says rudely. "See this is why we had problems-"

"You know all I gotta do is ask and you'll come up missing, right?"

He hesitates a bit at this, grip faltering just a little but not enough to let you go and you end up jerking away with a rough tug. The fact that you've just threatened him with death forces you once again to confront the fact that your boyfriend is a killer; a silent and deadly predator that could truly have Devon's mother wondering where her son is. She was a nice woman, reminiscent of a grandmother and completely oblivious to the fact that her son is still a bastard. You feel weird at the thought of it all, uncomfortable yet exhilarated at the power you suppose you have.