𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧, arguments and reassurance

【 trigger warnings | some cursing,, slight angst 】

published | 19th March 2020
edited | 22nd March 2021

'deep breaths shoyo...' he thinks to himself as karasuno gets into position. he was next to the net, in his own state of mind but still is aware of his surroundings. he took a deep breath before looking at the court and the rival team carefully.

aoba johsai vs karasuno. hinata can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia from this match. he shook off his thoughts as the whistle blows. it's officially show time.

karasuno has the ball and daichi is serving it. hinata listened to the footsteps and watches everyone's moves. the ball had been recovered by the libero and was soon to be on karasuno's side of the court.

tanaka received the ball letting kageyama do a set. the genius setter sensed his surroundings, setting the ball over towards asahi, making the ace harshly spike over the two player block.

"karasuno wins a point" the referee says as karasuno smirked while aoba johsai rolled their eyes. beside aoba johsai and karasuno were shiratorizawa and date tech.

those who were not on the two courts were watching karasuno, mainly the tangerine. "is it just me, or does chibi-chan give off a different vibe?" kuroo questioned as kenma stared at his friend, nodding along with kuroo.

"shoyo does seem different. before, he'd be all over the place. he would be serious for the game but still had lack in some areas. though now, it almost seems as if he was the monster underneath your bed waiting for the right time to strike" kenma summarised as fukorodani and nekoma agreed with kenma.

"i believe that it had to do with him sneaking into shiratorizawa's training camp" akaashi said "oh yeah! my disciple did sneak into shiratorizawa!" bokuto whole-heartedly laughed, remembering the news that happened a while ago.

"shoyo is the kind of person to do that, so i'm not that surprised..." kenma shrugged, watching hinata before seeing him flash from one side to the other in the matter of seconds. "he never cease to amaze me," kuroo scoffed as the rest nodded.

it was now the third round. aoba johsai had won the first round while karasuno had won the second round. at the moment, aoba johsai is in the lead with 17 points whilst karasuno is on 15 points.

everything was at full swing, people were surprised over how hinata was able to receive the ball properly but that was when kageyama had gotten fussy. he started pointing out the mistakes and sounding harsh.

"sorry kageyama, that toss was really good, that was my fault" asahi rubbed the back of his neck as kageyama looked away "then make the fucking point" he harshly said before walking back into position.

kageyama remembered what atsumu had told him, calling him a goody two-shoes, edging him on. he was on the verge of a breakdown.

the team went silent for a bit before shrugging it off and continued doing what they were doing. they scored, making it 18, 16 now. at the moment, they were taking a quick 2 minute break when asahi turned towards kageyama's direction with a smile

"so, kageyama, there's something that i would like to try-"

"i... i know my tosses are good! so please, score more often!" he yelled, finally losing it.

"looks like he's back to what he was before" kindaichi muttered, thinking that kageyama was being the old king he was before.

nekoma and fukorodani looked over towards karasuno, shocked to hear the yelling. they would've been fine if it was their normal argument but to them, it seemed as if kageyama had lost all his patience towards his team. they wondered how kageyama was going to solve this.

kageyama had heard those words, remembering what he had said in the past and immediately bowed down "i'm sorry-" "you know, i've been thinking about something" before kageyama could apologise, hinata had cut him off.

"what's wrong with him being king again?" hinata said that sentence loud and clear, knowing that everyone is listening to the conversation "is it because he's too bossy?" he sighed "i mean, either way, no matter what kageyama says, if i don't like it, i'm not going to listen to him" he shrugged

kageyama and the other teams looked at hinata in shock whilst karasuno just smirked softly on knowing what's happening. "no matter what he says, i'm not going to listen if i don't like his tone" tanaka then reasoned with him "what he said" tsukishima said coldly, wiping his sports glasses.

"so, no one really cares if you're king or not. i mean, aren't kings supposed to be cool?" kageyama took a realisation towards those words given by hinata and his team. "and i'm not going to give up trying for that super sharp cut shot, you fucking prick" tanaka scoffed.

kageyama stood in silence, unsure what to say anymore. it took him a while before looking at tanaka properly "i can't make any promises..." he mutters as tanaka chuckled "bring it on bastard" he says, stretching his shoulders.

those who were from kitagawa daichii junior high stared at kageyama in shock, processing the information that had happened. "he's change. we need to accept that" kunimi says to kindaichi "he changed because of the people around him. if not, we can assume that kageyama would've stayed the same" kunimi shrugged, getting into place.

"maybe... maybe if we treated him like that, maybe we could've gotten along together" kindaichi muttered bitterly before going back to position.

the practice continued. kageyama was expressing what he thinks is wrong but so does the rest of the team. they were cooperating like normal again, earning points properly again.

hinata smirked "the setter is the most dominant role! it's the coolest!" hinata mocked, trying to imitate kageyama's voice "we're not just going to forget that you said that all" hinata said, grabbing a towel and forming a circle shape "no matter how much you act like a goody two-shoes, deep inside, you're still a king" he walks over towards him.

"from today and onwards, you will now be name..." he jumped up high and putting the circle shaped towel on kageyama's head "the new king of the court!" he says before landing properly.

the court went quiet before karasuno burst into laughter "that's hinata for you" they say. hinata proudly smiled before getting a towel thrown to his face "thanks" kageyama smirked before turning back.

this was just enough for kageyama. having hinata to just be there for him is enough. he doesn't need anything more, he's already happy with this.

those who took interest in hinata can't help but feel slightly jealous of kageyama. though, what hinata did was something that they all would've done for their teammates. the interaction between kageyama and hinata made them adore hinata more than ever.

just like kageyama, watching hinata from afar, seeing him happy and enjoying his interests is enough for them. a relationship is something they wish to have, but this was enough.

【 the end of chapter four ! 】

𝘼𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙚!

omg- an update after the day i just published chapter three? what a fucking surprise. did one of my proofreaders cried reading the ending? yes, yes they did. i'm so sorry bestie if you're reading this.

but anyways, motivation for chapter four hits different then motivation for chapter three. that, and the fact that i just got back from a doctor's appointment, feeling like absolute shit and using writing as a coping mechanism.

so coping mechanism go brrrr. i don't really want to problem drop in the author's note. idk what to write for chapter five, so uh, that update is probably gonna be until a while-

n e ways, i hope ya'll are doing well, don't forget to eat, rest and stay hydrated. see ya'll in the next chapter.

- ely