eight: the box

I had never seen someone exit the box before. When I came up, I was unconscious, so I never really saw what it was all about.

The entire Glade stood around, staring at the box. Newt was the first to reach it as he peered down to grab hold of the handle. He carefully opened it up as he jumped to the bottom with a loud thud.

"What is it Newt?" "What do you see?"

"It's another girl." He said, looking back up to the crowd. His eyes searched through the people to find mine, as I stared back at him in shock.

Everyone else did the same as they slightly turned towards me. I somewhat tensed up before gluing my eyes to the girl.

She had dark brown curly hair, freckled skin and a slim body figure. She too was not awake.

"Another unconscious Greenie? This has got to be a joke." Someone said among the others, but I still didn't look up.

"What's in her hand?" Gally asked, pointing towards her hand tightly gripping something small.

Newt reached down and opened her hand, pulling out a piece of paper. He unscrunched it, revealing a few words, that from where I was standing, I couldn't quite make out.

"She's the last one, ever." Newt read, slowly. "Well, what the hell does that mean?" He asked, looking up from the paper as he said it.

Just as the last word had fallen out of his mouth, the girl's eyes shot open.

"Thomas!" she exclaimed, abruptly, prompting everyone to stand back slightly, stunned. She was breathing heavily, panting like a dog until she slowly closed her eyes again. Falling back into what seemed like a deep sleep.

Everyone's eyes sprinted to Thomas, as he looked down at her, confused and embarrassed.

"You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally said as I rolled my eyes.

"Someone get her out, take her to the Med-hut." Minho said, his voice, while sounding frightened, for once conveyed some sort of authority. Newt did as requested and picked up the girl's body and brought her to the grass.

Clint and Jeff took over as they carried the new arrival to the hut, still being stared at by the other Gladers.

Gally turned to me and Thomas quickly, clearly furious. "What the fuck is going on, Greenies?" he said, his eyes darting between the both of us. His comment started to attract the other's attention as they decided not to disperse yet.

"How the hell are we supposed to know? We know just as much as you do Gally, if not less." Thomas hissed, annoyed at the boy's accusation. I narrowed my eyes at the boy and clenched my fists, desperately trying to calm myself down.

"You guys show up randomly and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose? Doesn't sound like a coincidence if you ask me."

"Gally lay off, they didn't do anything wrong." Newt said, stepping slightly in front of me to face Gally.

The boy scoffed in response. "They didn't? Come on Newt, wake up! He went into the maze without being a runner and she attacked you with a knife!"

"Oh, fuck off Gally, at least Thomas did something brave." The only thing I could think of was to defend Thomas, after all, how was I supposed to clear my own name after attacking Newt upon meeting him for the first time.

Gally scoffed even louder, before nudging Newt out of the way to get closer to me. "Yeah? Is that so green-bean? Well if that's what y-"

"Oh, Gally be quiet, you're only mad at Y/N because she kicked your ass." I turned my head to see Chuck finally stand up to the boy. My lips turned upwards with a small grin.