thirty-seven

Harry knows about the attack.

Alouette repeats these words in her head like a mantra, and each time they feel more definitive, more impossible to find a way around.

Sure, he doesn't know about the day nor the location, but he knows something will happen soon, and that's enough for her to worry. She knows how he is. The Revolution is all too familiar with his way of doing things. While he might not know any of that now, he will find out. He won't drop it until he does. He doesn't give up, ever.

She wants to warn the Revolution, tell them to call it off, to bring the weapons back to the base and sneak them into the city secretly later on, but she can't. She can't, because she's perfectly aware that Harry knows she heard that. If the Revolution's plans suddenly change and he notices, he will know it's her. Or at least, her, Jayden and whoever else knows about the information. But she doesn't know how many times Harry tested the others, how much he trusts them, and she has no intention of putting Jayden in danger.

And of course, to Harry she's a stranger. A stranger he got a little too familiar with, sure, but still a stranger. They've only known each other for some months. She isn't so foolish to believe he trusts her blindly. Odds are the only person he trusts on the entire floor is Evie. If he trusts her at all.

It's clear to her what the next step is. She has to find a way to divert Harry's attention without making him double the security around the Palace. Odds are he doesn't expect the Revolution to attack twice in such a short amount of time. And if she works smart enough...

Alouette comes up with a plan. Nathan stares at her as if she's completely gone mad when she tells him, but even he can't say it isn't a good idea. She never thought herself to be a particularly good strategist, but also doesn't think she's so bad anymore. She just needs to think of every possibility, of everything that could go wrong and then some, because by now she knows Harry has a talent for always putting a spoke in the Revolution's wheel. More like smashing it with a hammer and raiding the cart and leaving the riders to the wolves, knowing him.

She takes an entire day, and by the time she's finished she's quite proud with the result. She'd like to keep it for herself for herself a while longer, but she knows she can't afford to waste any more time. It feels like a dream when Nathan agrees to pass it on to the Revolution. It feels like she's finally done something right. She could get used to that feeling.

"Lark." Suddenly two hands are on her shoulders, and she jumps up. "I thought about you last night." Harry's voice comes from right next to her ear and it takes all she has not to turn her head.

"Only good thoughts, I hope," Alouette says in reply. She grazes the back of Harry's hand with the tips of her fingers and he lets go of her instantly, as if she's shocked him.

"Naturally." He walks around the chair and leans back against her desk. She has to raise her chin to look at him, and she doesn't like how exposed it makes her feel. "Would you like to join me for dinner tonight?"

Alouette shrugs. "I don't know, I'll have to check to make sure I don't have any previous engagements."

Harry raises an eyebrow, but the corner of his lips turns up in a half-smile. "Are you that in demand?"

"Everyone adores me, don't you know? They just can't get enough of me." It's a lie, but she can't deny she enjoys the reaction her words earn from him.

"I can't say that I can't see why," he murmurs. The sly smile doesn't leave his face, but the look in his green eyes becomes sharper, as if he's studying her and trying to determine the truth in her sentence. He seems to be satisfied by what he finds, though, because his position becomes more relaxed. "However, I should hope no prior engagement seems more enjoyable than to spend your evening in my company."