six

Alouette gets into Evie's studio, frowning when she doesn't find her sitting behind her desk. She needs to ask her something, but she seems to be nowhere to be found on that day.

She's about to leave when she hears a loud voice coming from Harry's closed door.

"I told you not to do anything!"

Don't do it, she tells herself. She knows she's too curious for her own good, but listening to one of Harry's conversations without his permission is definitely a bad idea.

"Sir, the rural areas around Dacran are struggling! Something must be done!"

Her resolution crumbles to pieces as soon as she hears the mention of her city. They're talking about her home.

She slowly walks closer to the door, curious to hear what they'll say next.

"Doing something would imply only costs and no benefits," a deep voice replies harshly, that she immediately recognises as Harry's.

"There are people living there!"

"There are people everywhere!" He hisses. "They can either deal with it or move to the city, it isn't my problem."

There's a little silence, then the other man speaks again, this time in a calmer manner. "If you say so, sir."

Something else is said in a lower tone that Alouette can't quite grasp, and then she hears someone walking to the door.

She widens her eyes in fear and throws herself under Evie's desk just as the door opens, feeling so scared that she feels sick.

The unknown man walks away and Alouette lets out a relieved sigh, endlessly glad that she was able to hide in time. Now she just has to wait for the door to close again so that she'll be able to leave that corridor once and for all. She should've never stayed, she knows that, but she's always been way too curious for her own good. It's always been an issue, too.

She hears steps nearing the door and brings her hand to her mouth to stifle the sound of her breath in the instant she recognises the cadence.

Harry stops in the frame of the door and even though she can't see him, she can feel his presence close to her. He's quiet, she can't even hear him breathe, and for an instant she believes he's lost in thought.

Then he takes another step forward and his black shoes come into her vision.

Alouette closes her eyes, her heart beating so quickly that she fears he'll hear it too.

He walks to the other end of the desk, grazing the top of it with his blunt nails, slowly, calculatingly, even. Daringly, as if he's challenging her.

The scratching comes to an end when he stops walking, and for an moment there's only silence. Then, he speaks.

"Have you never been told it's impolite to eavesdrop?"

She's sure she feels her heart drop out of her chest as soon as she hears the question and brings her hand to her chest, as if she's trying to manually keep it in there.

"You know, while I find it rather... invigorating, to play hide and seek, I'd prefer to keep it for a different setting from my office. Not during the workday, at least."

She doesn't even notice he's rounding the desk until he's right in front of her, looking at her with those glacial eyes of his.

"I suppose we could work something out though, if you're so keen on hiding."

Alouette feels her cheeks redden at the double meaning hidden between his words, and she's sure she looks like an idiot now, sitting under a desk with her face redder than strawberries.