1993

Melody stood out in the front of what looked like her high school. Looking around she noticed all of the other teens lounging around the front of the school, it was day time too. Melody continued to observe in confusion she looked at her clothes, still the same outfit she had on at the Orpheum.
   'Strange, we were just at the Orpheum, why am I at school? Where are the guys?' She thought to herself. It wasn't until she saw a very familiar Chevrolet truck pull up into the parking lot,  on the passenger a blond girl in jeans a boots stepped out. 'That's me!' Melody thought as she saw the younger looking version of herself. It was then things became a bit more clear for her. She was having another episode.

   You see Melody suffers from Dissociation and dissociation identity disorder or DID. But the latter was only in severe circumstances. This means Melody often felt detached from the real world, her body like now, feelings, or thoughts. It was a subconscious act that made her feel safe whenever her Anxiety or stress became too much for the poor girl and she became overwhelmed . She would often space out, or her eyes would glaze over. She wasn't in any danger when this happened mentally, sometimes physically depending on where it happens, but pulling her out of an episode was a difficult task.
   What made it worse was Melody could never find exactly what triggered them, sure she had a general idea but sometimes a curveball would be thrown. Getting her out of an episode usually consisted of comforting contact like a hug or rubbing her back, holding her hand and saying comforting words reminding her she was safe and it was safe. But that was only for the episodes. Most of the time you were able to snap her out of it but touching her briefly.
    Melody discovered her problem with her father shortly after her mother died. Melody was with her mother in the hospital when she died and that trauma is what started it all. Melody knew the triggers came from when she thought or felt connected to her mother. Her mind pulled her away from the world and Melody was back in her mother's embrace as little girl.
   Her father started seeing the problem when Melody would ask about where her mom was as if she was coming home from work. He never had the heart to tell his 12 year old daughter what happened again, so he took her to a doctor thinking it was some PTSD symptom. With the diagnosis the family of two continued to try and live their life on the ranch as best as possible. But after 3 years of constant episodes it became to much for both Melody and her Father, so the moved.

15 year old Melody stood at the entrance to the school, clutching her schedule in her hand. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves Down, determined to keep her mind focused. So far she felt fine in-tuned enough to manage school, but it was only the beginning of the day. Holding her backpack tighter the young teenager walked into the school, unaware of a Phantom like older version of herself was following her.
   Her first period went fine, she even met a boy, Reggie was his name. He reminded her of a golden retriever with his dense mentality, he offered her to sit with his friends and him for lunch which she gladly accepted.
    When lunch time came she met up with Reggie " hey Melody these are my friends Luke and Alex" he spoke referring to the boys on either side of him. " well hi y'all the name is Melody but you can call me Mel" she smiled shaking hands with both the boys. " southern?" Alex questioned hearing the accent and choice of words, by now the group had sat down at a table. Melody nodded confirming his suspicions " I told she was cool Alex, maybe now someone will appreciate my country music" Reggie bantered causing the others to laugh, " so Mel, do you like music?" Luke asked.
    Mel lit up. She loved music, not only was her name Melody but making Music was the only time Mel felt like she wasn't some observer. She felt in the moment and present to the world, she felt connected again just like with her mom.

The now 17 year old Phantom Melody smiled seeing her younger self make the most important friends in her life. It was that day that 4/5 of Sunset Curve was made, Bobby tagged on a little later. After a few months of being friends Mel told them about her condition and the boys accepted it, they even learned how to help her through an episode. With the band by her side Melody handled the DID better as well, only once have the boys seen her turn into that distraught child her mind had locked away.
" Melody, Mel? Come on Melody it's Alright" the blonde herd a voice echo. Luke.

Luke had opened his eyes to see a dark room, looking around he saw Alex leaning against the wall head in is hands, probably crying, and Reggie looking around like a lost puppy. He didn't see Mel.
Looking behind him he saw her staring at the wall, a small wave a panic hit him. 'Not again' he thought rushing over to be in front of the smaller girl, looking into her eyes he knew she was in an episode. The glossy look her eyes got and the blank facial expression said it all.
    " Melody, Mel? Come on Melody it's Alright" he cooed cupping her head in his hands, " your safe I promise, we are all right here. Me, Alex, and Reggie, it's okay" he kept repeating moving his thumbs in circles. Luke knew eventually she would come back to wherever this was if he kept on coaxing her out.
   After a couple more minutes he felt hands grab each of his arms " that's it Mel, come back to us. It's okay I'm promise" he said one last time before bringing her into a hug. " Luke?" He herd the girl whisper, he smiled know she was back " I'm right her Mel" he said resting his chin in top of her head.
   Melody looked around, nothing. It was just a dark empty room, was she still in an episode? It felt like it. " Luke where is here?" She asked still in the hug, she wasn't letting go soon though the episodes were common they still scared her. " I don't know, but we're all her so there is nothing to worry about okay Tex?" He answered using one of her many western themed nicknames. She looked up at him " why do I feel like I'm still in a episode then?" She questioned further.
   Luke was about to answer she wasn't until the floor all four of them were standing on vanished. Causing them to fall into the great below.

A/N- yayaya ! Now we are on track with the tv show. Y'all also now know Melody's condition, tbh I did do quite a bit of research on this to make sure I represented it correctly and hopefully un-offensively
Comment what y'all think!
Byeee💕✨💕✨